All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just looking at my Haynes on changing the front discs and pads.

It says that when I change the front discs I will need to get new "calliper-to-swivel hub bolts" as they need to be renewed when they are disturbed.

Do I really have to do this or can I re-use the original bolts?

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I've never renewed any. I suppose it's best practice but I've done a fair few and never had issues.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Have never changed mine

·
Banned
885 Posts
There is a lot of rubbish spoken about 'stretch bolts' - They ALL stretch, for goodness sake, that's why the don't come undone!
Any bolt, even a mild steel one will stretch when it is tightened. Providing that its 'elastic limit' is not exceeded, it will return to its original length when it is slackened off.
The danger with re-using bolts, is more to do with corrosion than anything else, obviously, if it has lost some of its cross sectional area due to corrosion, wear or anything else, tightening it up to its correct torque/angular setting, could then well exceed the its elastic limit and it could fail.
If the people who do always use new bolts would like to donate the old ones to me, I'll make sure that they are recycled!!

Regards.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I saw this when doing mine last week, and went into vauxhal to get said bolts.. they wanted something like 16 quid for them. I mentioned that I was just changing pads and disks and that Haynes advised replacing the bolts..

The bloke basically said that Haynes manuals say a lot of shit that isn't right or necessary. He said they generally just reuse the bolts and reapply loctight to them, and only replace them if they break.

I reused mine and seem to be absolutely fine. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts