All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new ashtray from a scrapyard the other day as my current one is a bit broken, it hangs on one side because one of the tiny pins has come out. Thing is this new ashtray doesn't have a cigarette lighter, I assumed I could remove it from my current ashtray and slot it into the new one. Only problem is I can't remove it! On the front it has like a ring around the top so it can only be pushed out forwards from behind, but from the back there are parts attatched to it that get in the way so I can't get it out either way. Does anyone know how to get it out? Or if it's even possible? Any help would be appreciated as I don't like leaving my car in bits lol.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I thought the ashtrays were screwed on? So if it's hanging down, it should just need a screw putting in.
Get a pic up Lee so we can see it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The part that you screw to the car to hold the ashtray in place is fine, its the part that hangs from that thats the problem. I apologise for the quality of these pics I had to take them on my phone in weird light but I think they do the job.

The pic below shows how the ashtray should be:

The pic below shows what is wrong with it, inside the red ring you can see the ashtray comes away from itself:

Anyway I've got another one which is ok, but I can't get the lighter out :(

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I get you now. Sorry I got confused.
One thing I would advise it to probably disconnect your battery when trying to get the lighter bit out. My brother once got a shock from one.

When you pull the ashtray away from where it sits there should be a plug of some sort on the back of the ciglighter iirc.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've unplugged it all, its the barrel thing itself in the ashtray (the silver ring thing in the pics) I'm trying to get out. That one in the photo is the one I removed from my car lol. Sorry I'm no good at explaining things properly lol.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Smash the old one to pieces and have a proper look ;)

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Does it not just twist off?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Looking at the pic again, you can actually see the back of it right? As Lee says, could be a twist off or maybe even pins that hold it there.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pics are the front of the ashtray. I'm pretty certain the *** lighter doesn't twist out. The front (the bit you can see in the pics) has a lip so it doesn't fall back into the hole, but at the back, the lighter is larger than the hole so it cannot be pushed out from that side. I always run into complications, I thought it would be a pretty much straight swap lol.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Just give it a good yank and see how you go.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I always run into complications, I thought it would be a pretty much straight swap lol.
That's called car ownership mate :laugh: When you suss it out, be sure to post back so others can learn from your experience :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me and dad had a good look and from what we can tell you have to unclip the metal barrel from inside the plastic sleeve and they can both then be removed out from opposite sides of the hole in the ashtray. But we can't get it unclipped, obviously wasn't designed to ever be taken apart. I'm just going to screw in the new ashtray without a *** lighter, it's not like I use it anyway, just annoying that one of the "extras" isn't functioning, I know it's meant to be there but it isn't lol. I'll just use that until I find an ashtray with a *** lighter in it already then just plug the wires into that one. Thanks for all your help anyway. :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've heard some Corsas have the wiring for cigarette lighters but don't have the lighter itself, in which case you could just get an ashtray with a lighter in it and plug the wires into it. If you don't have the wires I'm guessing it isn't possible.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Mark, would be good if I could get it out and into the other ashtray, even if I don't get round to it it's another nugget of info I have learned lol.

·
Registered
325 Posts
With the corsa Cs, in order to get to the bottom of the cigi lighter, u need to remove the gear stick surrounding, i dont know if its the same with B's but worth a try

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I've taken the ashtray out and the lighter is in that, so I assume it's different in Corsa C's. Thanks anyway :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts