All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how exactly do i do this?

ive grown more convinced that mine isnt working properly from reading through other threads on the forum with similar symptoms,i think i read somewhere that you leave it sitting in petrol over night? is this true coz i dont wanna f*uck it up,

my car seems to be ok when its been running for a while but when i start it for the first time i is very sluggish and if i rev it, it will usually conk out,., also the sparkplugs are very black and sutty lookin.,.

ive also checked in the haynes manual and all that says is that "it should be checked by Vauxhall/Opel, i know, it defeats the purpose of having a service manual in the first place..,.,lol

cheers!

·
Registered
393 Posts
backin the good ol' days, the service manual used to tell you pretty much everything, think haynes manual. now, manufacturers don't want you to touch anything, leading to the vast majority of drivers knowing anything about what they're driving!

anyways, there's 3 things that typically go wrong with an ecotec and if one of them does go wrong, it affects the other 2, these are:

1. Mass Air Flow Sensor. when this goes down, it affects fueling during warm-up after starting it, leading to the lambda sensor and EGR valve becoming clogged until the sensor totally fails. only cure is replacement.

2. Lamda Sensor. pretty much controls overall fueling, if it does start to clog up with soot or start to fail, the engine becomes more dependant on the MAF sensor until that starts to fail due to the EGR also rapidly filling with soot soon after. can be cleaned if its just clogged up, but more than likely needs to be renewed.

3. Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. pretty much the biggest achilles heel of the ecotec, limits power and efficiency in its quest for better emissions. lack of power and dramatic fuel consumption are good clues to this totally failing, but it can be cleaned out with an engine degreasant and a toothbrush to test if it isnt just clogged up and still serviceable.

hope this helps mate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, very detailed, wasnt really expecting that,

thanks a lot mate, im gonna pull them out and have a look and see if they are clogged, give em a good clean and HOPEFULLY it will start running properly,.,.
cheers mate,!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
if you can, try posting a few pics up here if you're in doubt of their condition, it might help a few others out with running problems and clue people in to what to look for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts