All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,I have a corsa c 2002 1.2 sxi petrol, was working fine and yesterday the clutch pedal suddenly went really slack with hardly any resistance at all.
Now i cant get into any gears at all with the engine running,i tried to put it into reserve and heard the biggest crunch ever,so stopped.

The symptoms are NO clutch pedal action at all,the last 2 months the gearstick has been awkward to find 2nd etc but i put this down to the common linkage problem.

So far ive checked the clutch/brake fluid level and thats fine, if i turn the engine off, put it in gear then start it up i grabs easily takes up drive and its off, so i think the actual clutch is okay, just the pedal not working, i suspect the master cylinder behind the pedal and its a big job to change it according to the haynes manual i have to take the steering column out just to get at it.

Finally i noticed a seeping of clutch fluid from the bottom of the clutch housing, could there be anyhing inside the housing that could cause the problems im having.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i dont want to start guessing at parts,buying them and finding out it wasnt that,especially the master cylinder behind the cluth pedal as its a big job.
ps the brakes work fine which share the same fluid and the level is okay.
ALSO Since typing this ive found out there is a slave cylinder inside the gearbox housing,possibly where the leak is coming from,COULD this leak make the pedal lose pressure and cause the faults.
FINALLY.......PLEASE HELP......How do i know if its the clutch pedal (master cylinder) OR The slave cylinder inside the gearbox housing, how can i test each one to know what it is,if at all it is these faults, the car is parked down my street waiting to be fixed,i have all the tools and energy to do it,i just need advice from someone who maybe knows 100% what it is,thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Sounds like the slave cylinder has gone - which is inside the transmission housing. One bit of design I don't see why they did it - eg on the Yaris the slave cylinder is mounted on the outside of the transmission casing so repairs are easy.

To be fair they don't fail that often, but it's a transmission out job to fix it. Too big a job to list in detail here, have a look through the manual. If you do it yourself make sure you prime the slave cylinder before putting it all back together or you'll never bleed the system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts