All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've recently noticed that my clutch seems to be making a squeaking sound when I change into fifth gear. When changing into gears 1-4 everything is fine and the squeak doesn't appear but when I change into the fifth gear I hear a squeak when lifting the clutch.

There doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference in the gears so I was wondering if it could just be an easy fix.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be?

·
Banned
885 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

As the clutch is common to all gears, it's a bit odd that it should do this only in 5th;
Does the squeak happen just with pedal movement, or does it continue as you drive?

I just wonder if there is a tendency for the clutch to be slipping, this may happen if the clutch is 'getting on a bit' and you are changing into 5th gear a bit too early.

Check the clutch itself by: (1) Fully applying the handbrake (2) Start the engine (3) Engage third gear (4) Keeping about 1,500 to 2,000 revs on, engage the clutch.
If the clutch is OK, it will stall the engine IMMEDIATELY, if it tends to continue running, the clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced.

Regards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Forum.

As the clutch is common to all gears, it's a bit odd that it should do this only in 5th;
Does the squeak happen just with pedal movement, or does it continue as you drive?

I just wonder if there is a tendency for the clutch to be slipping, this may happen if the clutch is 'getting on a bit' and you are changing into 5th gear a bit too early.

Check the clutch itself by: (1) Fully applying the handbrake (2) Start the engine (3) Engage third gear (4) Keeping about 1,500 to 2,000 revs on, engage the clutch.
If the clutch is OK, it will stall the engine IMMEDIATELY, if it tends to continue running, the clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced.

Regards.
Thanks for the reply, it just seems to happen with pedal movement but only when changing into 5th gear. If I switch to 5th gear and then move the clutch I don't seem to get the squeek.

I will check the clutch tomorrow but it could be that it is just 'getting on a bit' as the car is 10 years old. If it is the clutch will it need replacing immediately?

·
Banned
885 Posts
Once a clutch starts to slip, it generally just gets worse - If it isn't replaced, the heat that the extra friction can generate may cause damage to the flywheel, so it is better to get the clutch changed ASAP - It may be OK for a while just 'popping to the shop', as there wouldn't be time to build up much heat ( unless you live miles from the shop, that is!)

Faults which can be attributed to the clutch itself:
1) The clutch slips - especially noticeable when moving away or pulling hard up hill.
This fault is generally down to worn friction faces of the clutch, but can also happen . if the clutch is drenched in oil (due to an oil leak, for example.)
2) There is difficulty in engaging a gear, probably more noticeable with first or reverse
gears.
This fault can be due to the clutch not fully disengaging or to contamination of the
clutch facings or the splined gearbox shaft with a mixture of oil and clutch dust.
3) Noisy when the pedal is pressed with the engine running - Normally caused by a worn
clutch release bearing (thrust bearing).
4) Noise when the pedal is pressed, even without the engine running, caused by 'dry'
or broken pedal bearing or a worn cable (on cars with cable operated clutch.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.