All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just driven home from work, the car started fine, drove fine, until I got about 5 minutes away from my house and the engine started ticking really loudly, engine management light flashed. It kept going about 100 metres further, I indicated to pull over and put my hazards on, and it started bellowing smoke from under the bonnet, and the engine completely cut out. I lifted the bonnet to find smoke coming from the back of the engine bay, and a very bad smell, almost like electric wires burning combined with a clutch smell.
I got the car towed home and it doesn't start at all, even with jump leads. There is oil, water etc. and I let it cool and tried again to no avail. I've also checked and its not leaking oil, I walked back down the road and couldn't find anywhere where the engine might have blown up and left a big oil puddle. PLus it was only serviced about 6 weeks ago. Anyone got any ideas what could be at fault?
Any help would be fantastic, you guys have never let me down before!

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
When it has cooled down check the oil and water just to make sure.

Be helpful to know which engine it is.

When you say it's not starting, do you mean it is turning over but not starting, or just not turning over at all.

I have a suspicion - bit of a guess at this stage - but electrical smell and smoke from the back of the engine bay (depending which engine of course) that your starter motor might have jammed in mesh and has burnt out. But as I say, that's just a hunch and would really need more information to say any more.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks for your help. It's a 1.2 16v corsa B. I've left it in the garage overnight, checked it again this morning, still has oil and water but its still not starting. It just sort of clicks as if there is not enough in the battery to start it up, but I know the battery is fine, because all the interior lights, electric windows etc still work fine. I then wired up some jump leads and it still wouldn't make any difference.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spot on mate! I took the starter motor out this morning, still smelt of smoke, teeth damaged, I think it must of got jammed on, and tried to keep up with the running of the engine and just burnt out. Got another one on order from Camberley auto factors, should be here tomorrow. Slightly concerned it may have damaged the flywheel so thats next on my checklist but hopefully it's good to go! Thanks a lot for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.