All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my components, they are Hifonics Zeus, i installed them in the car today and they couldnt seem to handle any bass at all, the slightest little beat of bass and it just crackled and distorted, to see if it was the speaker i connected them upto my home stereo and they sounded awesome, tried them in the car again and still distorted etc... I have made fresh connections for the speakers to go onto with new wire but still no difference, can anybody help? :( :) :( :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
ah yes. 2 way comps.

the reason you have no bass, is because you have 2way comps...

tweeter provides high
mid bass driver provides mid bass
and the sub in your boot produces "normal" bass

Its your cross over cutting out certain frequencies. If you want bass up front, get a different cross over - or - get some three way comps.

the diamond HEX comps have the option of a third and forth cross over, so you can turn them into three way comps :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my Infinity comps, hardly no bass at all. The other day I finally connected them up to an amp, turned the Bass EQ setting up a bit on the amp and omg I couldn't believe the bass that came out of them! I don't think head units give out much bass. Amping them is better anyway, could be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No no no, its not that i want bass, but i cant even turn them up, it's as if the speakers sound blown, but i know they arent because powered off the house stereo they sound good, and do i have to still use the cross over running them off the HU? I have just wored them into the original speakers place for now, nutil i get my amp.?

·
Registered
447 Posts
im not sure on corsa b electronics, but is there a small cross over built into the rear of the tweeter like the corsa C?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont have the tweeters connected up yet until i get them amp, because im unsure on how to wire them up until i get the amp installed because then i can wore the crossover to the mp and the tweeter wires the the xover then, but i really dont understand because it does genuinely sound as if the speakers are fooked but i know they arent, and i also only play music out the left one quietly for now as the right one is appauling and cant even take a little bit of music.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
If you dont want any bass from them, surely just turn the HPF upto to about 100-120Hz should solve any bass distortion problems? whats it set up atm the mo corsaj? The headunit unit settings might be screwed up, is the balance set to the middle (0), you got a similar headunit to mine, whats the front HPF set to? is it specifically set to something or does it just say "through" ?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive turned everything to its lowest, v power is on -8, loud if off, bass on -8, even mid has to be on -8, the speakers just cant seem to take any bass in the slightest, as if they are blown, its really confusing as in the house they sounded real good! And i know powering comps off a HU isnt the best but seriously it shouldnt sound like it does its shocking!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Does seem really odd, even stock speakers dont sound like that, may sound dumb but is the speaker wired to the mids on the crossover not the tweeter? just wondering, are you using the standard speaker wires?

·
Registered
497 Posts
CorsaJ you DO have to use the crossover even if powering them from the head unit, its doing the same thing as an amp would, just a lot less powerful and less settings lol. Have you checked the wires are attatched the right way round? If you have positive to positive and negative to negative on one speaker, then you have them the wrong way round on the other speaker it will sound bad and wont give out any bass at all, just try changing the wires round on one of the speakers and see if it sounds any better. Seems a bit odd that one of the speakers sounds worse than the other, not sure on that one.......

Feel free to add me on MSN if you want to chat about it more.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i wired them in today with the Amp and crossover and wow what difference, problem now sorted thanks for all your help people!:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't actually know, i think it was partly because they were not running using a xover and being run off the HU:)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Encountered a new problem now the pissing amp wont power up!!!!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
If you still using that kenwood headunit then this info should help. Have you checked the remote cable? i had problems with mine too, to test if the amp was working and it wasnt the remote cable, i took of the remote cable got a small bit of wire, put it on the the positive terminal and the remote terminal, and see if it worked. I found it was working but the remote cable wasnt sending a signal tellin the amp to power up.

Have you connected the remote cable to the pink/black wire (EXT.CONT) on the wiring harness? or the blue/white (P.CONT) one?

·
Registered
447 Posts
first check is fuses, then make sure all connections are "tug tight" then remote wire mate.

post up again once youve tried them

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I found the problem, there wasnt a good remote connection so i soldered it now, comps are up and running with a little jbl 10" sub just for now until i get my amp to run my RE :) Cheers guys!:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts