All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if any one had replaced a timing chain themselves and how big of a job is it? i'm a partly trained mechanic so i know abit about mechanics would you recommend i try it myself? i will have help from my uncle who is also a mechanic

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
It's reasonably straightforward - the only thing you will need is the timing kit for them as there are no timing marks on the engine. The manual says to remove the sump as the lower end of the timing cover sits on top of it and you need to make sure that the cover goes back straight - the oil pump is mounted in the cover and runs directly off the crankshaft - but you can do it without removing the sump if you are careful.

Timing kit http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Petrol-Timing-Kit-Vauxhall-1-0-1-2-1-4-Chain-Sealey-VSE243

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Easy to do in the bay - just bear in mind that you need to remove the o/s engine mount so if you decide to remove the sump as well you have to hold the engine on a beam which then gets in the way :mad:

I made a wooden cradle which supports the block with the sump off and allows the crankshaft to turn when you refit everything.

When you put it all back together turn the engine by hand several times - they do tend to creep out of line slightly. I've know a few need re-timing after new chains when this hasn't been checked thoroughly.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
The Haynes has it all in -

How long depends how you do it - eg sump off or not (sometimes just getting the exhaust lowered can be a pain as the bolts rust up - Plusgas is essential for that bit). Then some people find they struggle to get the crankshaft pulley bolt out - or it comes first time.

There are a variety of bolts on the timing cover, water pump, thermostat housing, engine mount, alternator etc - so make sure you know which order they all go back

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Hard to say - many quote a silly price if they don't want to do the job. And it depends if they use good quality parts or cheap rubbish. So cheap may not be best value for money. You hear of too many failing within a short period when cheap part are used.

Also - if you use a local workshop on a regular basis they will quote a better price for regular customers. Good workshops like to have an ongoing relationship with customers rather than just doing one-off jobs. So if you don't have a regular garage expect to pay more.

Don't go to a main dealer - you hear of quotes of £700 to do the job. Usually good quality parts are towards £75 - 90, plus labour which takes you towards the £300 mark.

It also depends where you are in the country.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts