All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I hope you can help in my time of need.

My 1.0 corsa life 06 plate will not start.

It was working perfectly all day last week then after returning from the shops the car wouldn't start. It turns over with plenty of battery and petrol but just wont start.

I had it looked at and was told the Oil filter was sucked into the engine and I would need the whole engine replaced. But was also told I should get a second opinion from another garage before going down this route.

I'm currently waiting on a family member 's friend (mechanic) to take it away to look at.

I can't really afford the full replace of engine so I though I would try a few things first to see if they help.

Pedal Test: 0100

I replaced the crank sensor as I read this could be a problem.
I emptied the sump of oil and put in an oil filter.
Charged the battery fully
But still the car won't start.

Still turning over but no sign of ever firing.

Any help an advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I had it looked at and was told the oil filter was sucked into the engine and I would need the whole engine replaced.

But was also told I should get a second opinion from another garage before going down this route.

But still the car won't start
I can't for the life of me imagine how that would happen

Odd advice. Why would you need a second opinion? Seems strange that they would propose such a lucrative option (for themselves) and then practically hand it to a competitor

You haven't mentioned EM lights (the orange dashboard light) so unless you have one you are ill-advised to just go buying new parts willy-nilly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend manages a Kwik-fit garage and he took it into have a look at it. I think he doesn't want to take on the work and making sure I am doubly sure before spending a lot of money.

Is the EM lights (the orange dashboard light) the one that flashes when I hold down the brake and accelerator? if so it was reading 0100. however now it just continuously blinks when i hold down the pedals (after I replaced the oil filter, crank sensor and charged battery).

The things I bought where myself in a moment of desperation trying anything I could mange myself before I needed to spend a lot of cash (cash i don't have).

·
Registered
891 Posts
Well no disrespect towards your friend but I've experienced some Kwikfit staff who are pretty far removed from the term mechanic.

I've got no idea why anyone would hold down the brake and accelerator, I'm only hoping the engine was off during this operation. If you've got a code (0100) then you need to find out what that is. I'm not terribly familiar with the later four-digit codes

No more rash spending but if you need a replacement engine I will come down there and eat your old one.

Just out of interest, when you replaced the oil filter as you claimed, what condition was the old one in?

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
kwik fit lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be fair my friend was doing me a huge favor and wasn't trying to make any money as he doesn't want or need the work. He was just trying to help me figure out why its not working.

When I fitted the oil filter (with an retired mechanic - neighbour.) there wasn't one there. I can only assume it was removed or completely sucked into the engine as the guy mentioned but i think he just meant the paper part.

The engine was off when I did a pedal test (as instructed somewhere online).
0100 = Mass or volume air flow circuit high input C-10

I want to do this the right way but hopefully without replacing the whole engine.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
On that model you hold the brake & accelerator to activate the fault code sequence - it's all here http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/check-fault-codes-11239.html

The disintegration of the paper element is all too common on them - which is why I always say to use genuine GM filters or a known good brand alternative. Once the filter breaks up the paper element works it way into the oil flow and inevitably blocks an essential oil passage. Camshafts and timing chain are the usual first victims to go as a result.

Without seeing the engine I wouldn't say for 100% - but the cost of sorting it out if your oil filter has done this is pretty high. Which is why I think they've said a replacement engine is cheaper.

The only other alternative is that there wasn't an oil filter there in the first place - do you know when it was last serviced and what kind of filter was fitted?

If you want to have a gander take the cover of the camshafts and have alook at the state of the camshafts and the timing chain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
try this

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help in my time of need.

My 1.0 corsa life 06 plate will not start.

It was working perfectly all day last week then after returning from the shops the car wouldn't start. It turns over with plenty of battery and petrol but just wont start.

I had it looked at and was told the Oil filter was sucked into the engine and I would need the whole engine replaced. But was also told I should get a second opinion from another garage before going down this route.

I'm currently waiting on a family member 's friend (mechanic) to take it away to look at.

I can't really afford the full replace of engine so I though I would try a few things first to see if they help.

Pedal Test: 0100

But still the car won't start.

Still turning over but no sign of ever firing.

Any help an advice would be much appreciated.
you could check that its not an immobiliser problem if its got fuel up to the injectors and the coil pack is sparking then it should start however the key is chipped it communicates with a transponder around your ignition and then communicates with your ecu if any one of these things has a problem the car will turn over but it wont allow it to start you need a vauxhall garage to check its not lost its memory basically hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
you could check that its not an immobiliser problem if its got fuel up to the injectors and the coil pack is sparking then it should start however the key is chipped it communicates with a transponder around your ignition and then communicates with your ecu if any one of these things has a problem the car will turn over but it wont allow it to start you need a vauxhall garage to check its not lost its memory basically hope this helps
sorry forgot to say you cant suck an oil filter into the engine its not possible

·
Registered
891 Posts
you could...

...hope this helps
No, not really
it's admirable that you want to help out but is there any chance you could structure your responses with punctuation, so that people can actually read them?

Oh, and to save me making another post, apparently oil filters CAN get sucked into an engine, just not the type that obviously you and I are familiar with

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
sorry forgot to say you cant suck an oil filter into the engine its not possible
Have a look at the type of paper insert used in these engines. There are some dodgy ones around that break up and the debris gets into the oil system. They aren't the external screw on canister type - they fit inside the oil filter housing and then there's a cap screws onto them.

The Z22SE uses a similar type of filter and the original aftermarket ones were all a fraction of a millimeter too long. Consequently they got crushed and killed a lot of engines - either the timing chains went, or the exhaust camshaft lost oil feed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts