All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I've got an 09 plate Corsa Life D which has had an engine management light on for a while now.

Initially it wasn't a 'problem' and we took it to a mechanic who we know and he recommended changing some sensors (possible lambda? I will pay close attention in future!) and he did so and reset the light.

The light came back on after a short while and we took it back, he then checked again etc and in the end I believe he identified two possible problems (my dad sorted this, hence me not being 100%) - either the catalytic converter or something to do with the AC (surely I'm wrong about the second option?).

Anyway, he said that it was fine/safe to drive without fixing the problem. Fast forward a few months and every so often when I'm driving mostly above 50mph or so, the car will jerk very slightly for an instant. The car also seems to take very marginally longer to start and seems, I THINK, slightly less powerful.

I've tried my best to research online before taking it back, and I've asked a couple of friends who are more knowlegeable, and from what I can ascertain even if it is the catalytic converter which needs to be replaced (rare in such a young petrol car??) it is most likely the fault of something else?

I've had MAF suggested among other things.

Sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to give as much detail as possible so hopefully one of you kind people can offer me some help/advice/guidance/tips! Honestly, anything you could suggest would be greatly appreciated.

(PS: I did the break pedal/accelerator check with the flashing spanner and from my interpretation the code is 533 but I could be completely wrong - I could send the recording of the flashes to anyone if that's at all relevant, or alternatively, you could tell me I'm a moron and that the flashing spanner thing is irrelevant.)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi there, well all the running symptoms sounds like it's gone onto limp home mode, which means the ECU itself is making up all the parameters for running the engine, the sensors are doing very little, well the first thing you have to do is identify the fault code, its a waste of time and money just throwing sensors at it, the codes when you do the pedal test are made up of a 4 figured number and you put a P in front of it, if it flashes 10 times that is 0 zero, the rest are normal...so look for something like P0123 whatever and google it to see what it is.

It's not going to be the catalytic converter, you cant get a fault code for that, it could be the front or rear Lambda sensor, the front one controls the mixture, thats sensor 1 bank 1, the rear one sensor 2 bank one just tells you how well the cat works....

If it keeps coming back on the light, then you have a problem, its a bit pointless keep turning it off, it will just keep coming back on...you have to cure the problem. in all honesty it could be anything from Crank Sensor to Charcoal canister...you need to do a proper code test first thing....from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi there, i appears to be Bank 1 sensor 2, sensor and the heater circuit, so i would change the rear lambda sensor, its the one at the back of the catalytic converter, the other thing indicates the crank sensor is no good, i think i would change both those parts and clear the codes see how you go from there, crank sensors are common on those...its probably over top of the passengers side drive shaft, where it goes in the gearbox, or over top of the starter motor, held in with one torq acrew, and i think has a plastic plug with 2 wire on....good luck, from Fred.

Thanks for the reply! I've checked and there's 3 codes.

Any ideas? Could they share a common cause??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts