All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys posted this one in the wrong forum first off! - I have a 1.0L corsa C with 48K on the clock. There is a pretty bad oil leak that looks like it is coming from the region of the crankshaft oil seal behind the flywheel, as it is mainly coming out of the engine/box joint. There is also oil over other parts of the lower engine. A couple of weeks ago the engine managemet light came on after my son had been driving, and I discovered there was no water in the reservoir. After topping up it went for about a week needing water adding regularly, but now this seems to have settled and it isn't using water. I had the cylinder compressions tested and they are all 3 of them spot on. I though it might be the head gaskett pressurising the crankase and forcing the oil out, the leaks are that bad, but now I am uncertain. There is the usual mayonnaise on the oil filler as it only does short trips, but no signs of water in the oil on the dipstick or oil in the water. Any ideas? Do these engines usually leak badly??

·
Banned
346 Posts
no engine should leak badly, older engines are bound to have a slight leak

you got to think the car is getting on abit and the gaskets dont last forever, if i were you i'd find out how much its going to cost have the gasket sorted from where ever its leaking as the problem aint just going to go away if anything its just going to get worse!

i have a corsa b 1.4 16v sport and it loves eating rocker cover gaskets (all the corsa sports suffer from that problem)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This aint no ordinary age-related leek, it's needing topping up every week. I reckon it's being forced out? These 3 cyclinder engines are pretty crap but I don't think they should leak like this after 48K

·
Banned
346 Posts
This aint no ordinary age-related leek, it's needing topping up every week. I reckon it's being forced out? These 3 cyclinder engines are pretty crap but I don't think they should leak like this after 48K
oil can not be forced out, sorry but it just cant! unless thres a gasket thats perished and needs replacing

its just a bad leak that wants sorting, simple job off just changing a gasket and it will be sorted!

·
Registered
126 Posts
your right the 3cyl engine are a bit crap but 48k miles is still young for an engine and it shouldn't be spitting out oil from anywhere at this millage.

The only common cause of oil leek I know of in these engines is from the oil pressure sensor which can be replaced easily, but from what you have descirbed it doesn't sound like its comming from that area.

You should wash away all of the oil from the engine so its clean then go for a short drive. then hopefuly you will be able to see exactly where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oil can not be forced out, sorry but it just cant! unless thres a gasket thats perished and needs replacing

its just a bad leak that wants sorting, simple job off just changing a gasket and it will be sorted!
Er, yeah it can dude, if the head gasket is leaking it can pressurise the cranckcase. Also, if the crankshaft seal is leaking, it aint no simple job!!

·
Banned
346 Posts
if the head gasket is gone its a simple job to do, i did my cavalier headgasket MYSELF within 2hours, simple strip down, clean up, skim, new gasket, rebuild, and bobs your uncle job done and it worked perfect not a single oil leak in sight

if your planning on taking it to a garage to be done i wouldn't bother and i'd just drop a new engine in as it would work out cheaper!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think you should just ignor corsa-boy if you read this thread
http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/corsa-b-help-17649.html
it seams he has a habbit of p***ing people off.

Everything you have said suggests that the head gasket is fine. but you are obvously loosing alot of oil and with the loosing water that you say has now stopped is rather confusing.

Your going to need to investigate the cause of the oil leek further, and if it is the crankcase seal behind the flyweel your at least going to have to remove the gearbox to get at it maybe the whole engine.

It seems taurus has returned he is best person on this forum i'm sure he will reply to your problem.

·
Banned
346 Posts

Everything you have said suggests that the head gasket is fine. but you are obvously loosing alot of oil and with the loosing water that you say has now stopped is rather confusing.

Your going to need to investigate the cause of the oil leek further, and if it is the crankcase seal behind the flyweel your at least going to have to remove the gearbox to get at it maybe the whole engine.

It seems taurus has returned he is best person on this forum i'm sure he will reply to your problem.
you all ignore me think i give a damn?? no

i know what im going on about when it comes to cars as ive worked on them since i was 12years old so ive got 12years experience behind me, may not always be 100% acurrate but majority off the times im right, i solve most the problems on my mates cars for them for cheaper than the garages

P.S i didnt say it was 100% the head-gasket that had gone, i just said theres obviously a gasket somehwere that has perished as no car should loose that much oil, common sence really that a gasket needs replacing

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Hmm - there is an obvious question to ask - how much oil are you actually using? ie - what is the oil consumption per 1000 miles?

Headgasket failure can pressurise the crankcase, and you can get a leak between the combustion chamber and an oilway that doesn't cause coolant loss. But if your compressions are fine then I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

A small amount of oil makes a huge mess, so the actual loss per miles is a better indication. If the rear crankshaft oil seal has gone then it will be getting onto your clutch as well, so you might get clutch judder, or it can sometimes cause the clutch to stick so that selecting first/reverse becomes difficult.

One thing to try is not to top it up so much. I know that sounds daft but I've had cars with leaking rear crankshaft oil seals that only leaked when the sump was full. Let it run down to half full and the leak slows dramatically.

If you do a lot of short journeys then the build up of mayonaisse is almost inevitable - which brings me to the important bit.

It is not uncommon for the mayonnaise to clog the crankcase breather tube - and what happens if that gets blocked? The crankcase can't vent and pressure can build up and force oil out of a seal somewhere. So the first thing I'd check is that the crankcase breather tube isn't blocked. It's a lot simpler than beginning with a headgasket or replacing the rear oil seal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks Haydn1987, I agree I don't think Corsa boy knows much at all. Taurus has raised some very valid points and I am going to also take your advice and give the whole block a damn good clean and see if I can see where the oil is leaking from - as he says if it is the crank seal you would expect some sort of clutch problem. Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm - there is an obvious question to ask - how much oil are you actually using? ie - what is the oil consumption per 1000 miles?

Headgasket failure can pressurise the crankcase, and you can get a leak between the combustion chamber and an oilway that doesn't cause coolant loss. But if your compressions are fine then I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

A small amount of oil makes a huge mess, so the actual loss per miles is a better indication. If the rear crankshaft oil seal has gone then it will be getting onto your clutch as well, so you might get clutch judder, or it can sometimes cause the clutch to stick so that selecting first/reverse becomes difficult.

One thing to try is not to top it up so much. I know that sounds daft but I've had cars with leaking rear crankshaft oil seals that only leaked when the sump was full. Let it run down to half full and the leak slows dramatically.

If you do a lot of short journeys then the build up of mayonaisse is almost inevitable - which brings me to the important bit.

It is not uncommon for the mayonnaise to clog the crankcase breather tube - and what happens if that gets blocked? The crankcase can't vent and pressure can build up and force oil out of a seal somewhere. So the first thing I'd check is that the crankcase breather tube isn't blocked. It's a lot simpler than beginning with a headgasket or replacing the rear oil seal.
Thanks Taurus, a bit of sense! I am not sure of the oil consumption, but as you say if it is the crank rear oil seal you would expect some sort of clutch problem. I am going to give the block a damn good clean and also the breather tubes, and then see how it goes and if I can pinpoint the leak. I am going off the head gaskett but still a bit puzzled about the water loss, maybe the cap wasn't on tight enough or the relief valve was playing up? I would have though any head gaskett problem would give unbalanced compression test results. Cheers for you suggestions

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
you all ignore me think i give a damn?? no

i know what im going on about when it comes to cars as ive worked on them since i was 12years old so ive got 12years experience behind me, may not always be 100% acurrate but majority off the times im right, i solve most the problems on my mates cars for them for cheaper than the garages

P.S i didnt say it was 100% the head-gasket that had gone, i just said theres obviously a gasket somehwere that has perished as no car should loose that much oil, common sence really that a gasket needs replacing
So what if it were the oil pressure switch causing a leak? Still need to renew a gasket according to you?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts