All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I,ve had this car for about 5 years, only problem 2 replacement shock springs,tyres,exhaust. Never let me down.(serviced @ 54000 miles,done 57000)
Until today ---It cut out comming to a roundabout ,no warning (battery light,orange engine light on only after engine stopped).
tried starting a couple of times,just turning over,
moved to a safe place (called AA before moving it).
AA recalled after moving vehicle for details, Then tried to start it again,( about 10 minssince it cut out)
It started as if nothing had gone wrong,let it idle for a minute,revved it a couple of times,All OK,Rang AA back told them I,ll try to get home,any issuses id ring back,
Got home no problem (about 8 miles).
I know its a long winded post-soz-but has anyone else had this problem,Any ideas
Thanks
Carl

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
That's typical of when the crankshaft sensor starts to fail. They develop a hairline crack in the windings which open up when hot and that breaks the circuit. As they cool down the remake contact and it runs again.

Of course that's said without inspecting the car and it could be other things, like a blocked fuel filter. But a dud crankshaft sensor often doesn't throw the EML or a code - just to be difficult!

The way to check is the see if the fuel pump is running when it won't start. If it isn't then chances are it's the crankshaft sensor. About £15 from Autovaux - ring them on 01924 376003. It will be an aftermarket jobbie, but good quality.

Those engines eat crankshaft sensors and it's a very common issue - but since the part is cheap it's no big deal.

Bit tricky to replace - it's above the inboard end of the o/s driveshaft, so you have to get at it from underneath.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replaced it last saturday 27/04 ,Good to have a mate who has a MOT station, borrowed a lift ,got under found it above the drive shaft, would have struggled using ramps. fitted new bosch unit ( Ebay £16.50 free P&P).
So far so good
Thanks for the Info Guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts