All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on what this can be?
Basically, the car had intermittent power drops on acceleration for a while, then the engine completely cut out at 70mph on the motorway,
The RAC guy showed me the fuel pump fuse was blowing and suggested changing the pump.
I changed the pump; fuse still blew.
So i then changed the fuel pump relay today; fuse still blowing!
Are there any other things i could try?
Ive noticed the crankshaft sensor comes up alot in this subject, would changing this solve the problem?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
sounds like you have a wire crossing and shorting out the connection causing the fuse to blow trace the wires back to the fuse box check for broke split or damaged wire

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Just a suggestion, but if the fuel pump line has resistance in it, for example if it was blocked or had a kink, it would blow the fuse too.

Same is true of a washer bottle

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had the same i gave the car to my dad n it was a lose connection in the tank so just check that there isn't alot of play with any of the connections.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the suggestions guys,
I noticed both rubber pipes joining the fuel hoses to the pump had both rotted at the ends and one was indeed causing a slight block in the return fuel, however I sorted that before changing the relay,
My dad and I are going to check the wiring in the morning so hopefully might find something there, I found out there is no camshaft sensor on my particular model so have ruled that out!
Will let you know how it goes and if I need more ideas, thanks again!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
**** yeah! Go me for coming up with that suggestion! My first mechanical suggestion that was right! Wooooo! :palm:

Anyways, could you remove the fuel line and try to start the car (with a container underneath the car to catch the fuel) and see if blows the fuse. If it dont, then the line you disconnected has got too much resistance/blockage on it I would have thought.
Just replace the line, and remove it further along until you find the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED:

I recently had a new exhaust fitted, we finally got under the car after all the other things we had tried, and found that the garage had let the fuel pump wires under the car hang loose onto the exhaust pipe, hence leading to the wire coating to melt, and therefore the fuel pump kept shorting out on the exhaust.

Only one problem now; all that fiddling with the piping has led to reveal that end of the fuel hose has rotted, so now have a fuel leak!
Won't be buying another Corsa me thinks!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Could have happened to any car mate, not just Corsa's.

Well done on getting to the problem though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts