All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right this is going to sound like a stupid question im guessing, but spent a while now trying to find my spark plugs and ht leads on my engine and seriously cant find them lol. Ive posted a picture of my engine underneath so if anyone can circle where i can find them id be very thankful. Also tried getting my air box open but it didnt seem to want to budge, do i have to take the jubilee clip of the pipe going out of it off and then take that piece of pipe out to be able to do it? Also im need to take my EGR valve off to clean but have no idea where it is on my engine or how to go about doing so as the tutorial on here is for the 1.4 or 1.6 engine. All responses will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for crappy camera phone pictures

·
Registered
730 Posts
X12XE's don't really have HT leads, they've got an ignition module which is the HT leads and spark plugs attatched to a piece of plastic or something along those lines.

It's the black plastic block that sits in the middle of the cam cover, under the ecotec badge.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Corsa_Rob thought as much about the spark plugs, bit gutted now that ive bought ht leads for it off ebay gonna be interesting trying to get my money back for them lol. Me and my dad felt like right nobs trying to figure out where they were no wonder we couldnt find them :D. Any more help about getting the air box off and the egr valve off and its location would be helpfull too

·
Registered
136 Posts
Undo the 2 torx bolts that are on that long black plastic bar in the middle of the engine at the top, thats your coil pack, gently prise it up level, not one end at a time, it will then expose your sparkplugs, job dope:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
730 Posts
For the airbox, I usually take the pipe that leads to the throttle body from the back of the airbox. Then release the silver clips with a screwdriver. If you keep the piping connected its not unlikely that you will snap the plastic catches that hold it down.

The EGR valve is on the right hand side of the head, just under the wire from the ignition module. I think it's got some coolant routing going through it, so the coolant will probably need draining a little to get it out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
which one of the clips would you saw to go for then because only the middle two are jubilee clips the outside two look like theyve been crimped on because theres no nut to loosen them

and cheers ill have a look after work tomorrow at the egr valve thing, if anyone knows of somewhere that theres a picture of what it is im going to be looking at the would be a good help to, trying to save money and learn a few things but so far im off to a bit of a rubbish start lol

·
Registered
730 Posts
Take off the jubilee clips, the others are a b*tch to get back on.

And a nice picture showing an EGR:

The wire in front of the EGR valve is the coolant temp sensor, so yes, you will definately need some coolant out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
right i shall try taking off the right side jubilee clip then the left and see if i manage that way

what a ledgend for the picture, dont suppose you could become an ubber ledgend and tell me you know somewhere that tells you how to take it off and let whatever coolant out from wherever you need to let it out from ?

did you also say its ok to unplug that lead that goes into the block where the spark plugs are located ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, there should be enough freeplay to lift it clear without unplugging anything, I did mine today with no probs:thumbs_up:
Did you have to let coolant out or anything ?
What sort of bolts hold it in? I got a new gasket for it and was going to clean it with wd40 is that what you did ?

·
Registered
730 Posts
To drain your coolant, look here:)

I don't know how much coolant needs draining, no more than a third or so I would think. Although, if you havn't changed your coolant in a while, this is a perfect opportunity to do so.

As for the EGR:

Remove the cable clipped to the top of the EGR cylinder (just under the ignition module cable).

There's a coolant hose near the base of the cylinder, next to a 90 degree pipe that goes off behind the head, that needs removing, obviously after draining the coolant.

That pipe next to the coolant hose needs to come off, there are 2 bolts, on above and one below, there might be a gasket there as well.

Then just take the 4 bolts holding the EGR valve to the head, there pretty clear and not obstructed by anything that can't be moved, there should be a gasket behind that too.

The bolts holding everything will more than likely be torx bolts, not sure on the size, T25, T30 or something around there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Did you have to let coolant out or anything ?
What sort of bolts hold it in? I got a new gasket for it and was going to clean it with wd40 is that what you did ?
I think we're getting a bit confused here lol...I'm talking about your coil pack where your sparkplugs are hiding...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think we're getting a bit confused here lol...I'm talking about your coil pack where your sparkplugs are hiding...
Ye think i was lol thanks for the responce anyway ;)
____________________________________________________>

And to Corsa_Rob do you have to drain the coolant to take off the egr valve to clean or it it just something you would do as good practise because i dont have jack, axel stands etc to do the coolant replacement and from the looks of the tut i dont really wanna be trying to do it either lol

·
Registered
730 Posts
And to Corsa_Rob do you have to drain the coolant to take off the egr valve to clean or it it just something you would do as good practise because i dont have jack, axel stands etc to do the coolant replacement and from the looks of the tut i dont really wanna be trying to do it either lol
The EGR housing has coolant going through it too, so when you remove it coolant will start rushing out.

But, if you stick a bucket or tray or something under the car when you remove the EGR valve and let the coolant drip down into that. On mine at least, you can get at the radiator plug easier from the top, so as above, stick something under it to catch the coolant. It's worth having a look:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you not think id be able to trap off or bung up the two pipes going into the egr valve then therell just be whats in the valve itself that will come out, as i dont feel confident enough doing the whole flushing out the coolant thing and dont really have the time either

·
Registered
730 Posts
you not think id be able to trap off or bung up the two pipes going into the egr valve then therell just be whats in the valve itself that will come out, as i dont feel confident enough doing the whole flushing out the coolant thing and dont really have the time either
Yeah I suppose you could, gotta be quick mind:p

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Think i might give that a go, any chance of getting air in the coolant system doing it that way though you reckon ? if i did would that cause problems ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts