All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's Corsa B 1.4i doesn't seem to advance on the ignition and uses a lot of fuel, I would guess because one is pushing the throttle down further than necessary. You can hear the inlet trying to go but nothing happens, seems like the ignition is not advancing to me.
Is it possible that the hall effect in the distributor could be faulty and cause this?
The engine does not pick up as it should and also hesitates and has a big flat spot.
I've renewed fuel temp sensor, vacuum sensor and Lambda to try and cure this without success. It's drinking fuel and the exhaust is black.
Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
If the Hall Effect is stuffed they usually don't run at all - I'm not sure listening to the inlet will tell you how the advance is working or not.

When you say you changed the temperature sensor - which one did you replace as there are two? One for the temperature gauge and one for the ECU. The former is 11mm plug with a single wire, the latter is a 19mm unit with two wires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sensor

Hi, thanks for response.
I replaced the Ecu sensor at the back of the manifold...
The thing just doesn't go......you put your foot down and it just goes blaaaaaaaa and unless you hit the boards it doesn't do anything except swallow fuel...... there's just no zip there... I had a Seat 1.4 Ibiza before this and there is absolutely no comparison. OK the Seat was full injection instead of the SHXT injection system on this, but even so..... I have done all my own mechanics since I was 13 and I am now 69 and I have never known this problem before. It really is a pile of crxp! which costs a fortune to run....and being on just an OA Pension, makes life very difficult.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Forgive asking the basics, but best to check - I assume you've checked the distributor cap central brush and the four outer contacts, plus the HT leads & plugs.

It might also be worth checking the coil - the usual three checks for HT side, LT side and making sure it's not earthing out on the LT side.

It's either overfuelling - or weak ignition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

Thanks for that.... the strange thing is that the plugs, which I renewed 5 months ago look perfect a nice straw colour...... which would seem to indicate that sparks are good..... it certainly doesn't misfire at all... so why is the exhaust always black and I am using a lot of fuel? Doesn't make sense...
I checked the sparks at night and couldn't see any...
The unfortunate part is that I live at 1100 metres high so everywhere I go means a trudge back up the mountain mostly in 2nd or 3rd.... my old 2.8 shogun does it in 4th or 5th..... and costs very little more in fuel than the Corsa!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts