All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi room,

This is my first post so I'll try to be as specific as I can. I own a 1996 Corsa B 1.2 and over the past month I've noticed an acceleration issue where when I accelerate after changing gears or moving off from a stop the car feels like its struggling and sometimes feels like it's going to stall.

Someone suggested I unplug the MAP sensor and go for a drive to how it is. I did so and went for a 7 mile drive, it ran smoothly. So I bought a new MAP sensor and fitted it and again went for a drive, the ran perfect.
That was until yesterday when driving to work the stalling issue came back with a vengeance and the engine wouldn't restart, it would turn over but not start up.
Then it gets even stranger, when it was turning it over there was a smell of sulphur and after 20 minutes it just decided to start up. I'm at a complete loss here. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
The smell of sulphur was probably because you flooded the CAT with unburnt fuel.

Clearly the original problem was related to the MAP sensor, which are usually very reliable. Did you check the vacuum pipe running to the MAP sensor and also make sure that the port where that pipe connects to the throttle body is clear. Blaockages or leaks in that area can cause the same problems as a dud MAP (in fact they are more usually the cause).

The other possibility (and it happened to me a while back) is an internal break in the wiring to the MAP. You get intermittent problems that can be tricky to track down if that happens.

The obvious things to check are the basic service items. If it is a distributor type then check the inside of the dizzy cap, rotor arm & HT leads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'll look into this. Need head off to work though so it could be a bit before I have chance to check it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: I finally caved and took it the mechanics. When his computer finally read the ECU it came up with 3 errors. Primary ignition, Engine Temp sensor and MAP sensor. The mechanic took the car for a drive and he couldn't fault anything about the way it drove. Could the map sensor cause those issues that I've described? I might try going to the scrap yard taking one from another corsa.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts