All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well basically I have just bought a Corsa B 1.4 16v sport but the acceleration seems a bit slow. I have heard this could be mass air flow sensor or Lambda sensor. Are there any other ideas what this could be before I go out spending money on this.

Also when starting it needs a bit of gas on or will stall straight away, this is normally just starting on a cold morning, however can be during the day as well. The air filter is new so that can not be the problem.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
As for the acceleration you need to push down harder on the gas mate, only messing lol i cant help im sure someone on here can though!

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
It shouldn't cut out when first starting up. That's a surefire sign of a fault. Is your engine management light on?
Someone had a similar problem recently and it turned out to be the egr valve was blocked.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried the pressing foot down harder, the daft floors in the way maybe should cut that out :p

And when you say egr valve was blocked is that basically buying a new one or can they be cleaned out?

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I have tried the pressing foot down harder, the daft floors in the way maybe should cut that out :p

And when you say egr valve was blocked is that basically buying a new one or can they be cleaned out?
Yeah it can be cleaned out. It's located under the throttlebody which is located under the silver intake manifold.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well when I have a chance I will try that, and well it aint to bad but should be quicker if you get what I mean. thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Do remember though that it is only a 1.4 and it's not going to be fantastic acceleration anyway.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i mean tbh mine aint that quick off line only flys once its over 3k being 16v etc
Yer thats basically what it does, so there wont be anything I can do about it then. I just thought there might have being something else since it cuts out when starting.

·
Registered
521 Posts
have you got an induction kit and does it sound like its getting to much air if so its prob gonna be the mass air flow meter mine went they aint cheap either

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
The thing with 16v engines is that a lot of the power is further up the rev range anyway. I do think there must be a problem for you to be having cutting out issues. If you can be bothered have a go at cleaning out the egr valve and see if that helps.

Worst comes to worst it may not, but it's free to do and will only benefit your car anyway. Then that is one less thing off the checklist.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No I haven't got an induction kit.
And yer I am going to try cleaning the egr valve I have seen off another site the easiest way to do this is
"is spraying fuel injector cleaner (forte) straight down the intake, while someone holds the revs at around 4-5000rpm, it will suck it all in, burble and splutter a bit then chuck out a cloud of black crap for about 5mins, then hammer it round the block to clear it all out"
Thought I might as well give this ago, before I do though do you rekon this will be safe to do. I dont mind wasting a couple of quid on the cleaner if it might work just as long as a dont have to spend alot more after fixing the engine from the damage it caused.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I can't see that cleaning the egr valve. The egr valve is Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. It recirculates the exhaust gases back into the system after combustion. The product you squirt into the intake will be burnt before it gets to the egr valve and therefore have no effect.

·
Registered
393 Posts
you're right there lee, all that black soot flying out of the exhaust is just burned fuel system cleaner, at the most all it will have done is loosened some of the carbon deposits off the piston crown, but thats doubtful after a few squirts of cleaner.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Makes sense then, so if I was going to take it out and clean it what would the best way to go about doing it.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Just a good bit of elbow grease I reckon should do the trick.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yer I was meaning how to get to it though, I know it was said that its under the throttle body am I going to have to take this off as well to get to it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts