All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Welcome to my cheap and cheerful project thread! Not going to be doing much to it, just a little modding on a student budget.

Right so a bit about my car history. When I was 15 I bought a little mini for £120, and spent two years rebuilding it. Most of the body panels had to be replaced, we gave it a colour change, we tuned the engine a bit, gave it a really good suspension set up and a few external and internal visual mods. It was a cracking little car and I really miss it :(

Then during my gap year between a-levels and uni I got a job as a support worker with disabled kids, so the mini was no longer practical. I got a 306 HDi which was actually a really good, comfortable and quite quick car. As it was meridian (quite a high spec) it had loads of refinements like 1/2 leather, ac etc. I added a gti spoiler and alloys to it and gave the alloys a custom paint job, but otherwise it was standard.

But once I started uni I realised I wouldn't be able to afford the pug. I also found out that from last april the tax would be rising to £220. And so I got the corsa. I was looking for a decent, bog standard, clean car. After a couple of weeks of looking my dad called me to say he found this one back home, so I caught the train to go and see it. It's been in the same family since new, and all women drivers. It had only done 59k, with service history and is in pretty good condition for it's age. I know people on here aren't usually keen on 5 doors, and I was actually looking for a 3 door, but it was too good an offer for me to pass and it will be useful for me with my job!

So far I've bee trying to do a bit of work on it whenever I've been home on holidays or weekends. I've given it a good service and going-over, changed rear shocks, changed front coils, fitted a new back box. It's been running a bit badly, misfiring and messing about at high revs, but I've finally found out that it was the MAF so I've got that sorted as well. I've also waxed it underneath.
There are a few rust spots I'd like to sort out (nothing major) but otherwise it's a good little car.
As for future plane, I'm not going to do anything drastic to it as the main thing for me is that it's comfortable and reliable (I don't want to have to buy another car while I'm at uni!). I'm just going to try and smarten it up a bit.
I'm not keen on the alloys, but at least it has got alloys so I'm not desperate to change them. If I find anything cheap locally I will.

I'm also searching for some vectra chrome door handles, smoked side repeaters, wind deflectors and bonnet lifters. As I said nothing major, but a few subtle changes.

If anyone has any suggestion/comments please do shout them out, but bear in mind anything I do on this car will have to be on a student's budget!

I'll add some pics as soon as I've done anything to it.

Here are a list of things I've done so far (pics are further into the thread):
- Astra mk4 splitter
- Refurbed 15" Cesaro's (need some lower profile tyres, but will stay on 60's for now)
- Smoked side repeaters (with chrome bulbs)
- Partly smoked rear lights
- Painted interior plastics (same colour as cesaro's)
- New gaitors (black and blue to match the seats)
- Chrome Vectra door handles
- Bootlid spoiler (in black)
- JVC headunit with custom mp3 player dock in ash tray
- Renault audio stalk for HU behind steering wheel
- Corsa C sunglasses holder
- Bullet aerial
- Corsa dash mat
- White SMD interior lights
- White SMD boot light
- White SMD sidelights
- Chrome bonnet struts
- 4-piece wind deflectors (only using front 2 due to poor fit)
- Smoked vectra b interior light with map lights
- Osram nightbreaker plus'
- Smooth cc'd boot lock surround, with black griffin
- Satin black V grill
- Debadged rear
- Silver gear knob insert
- Spring action cup holder (from unknown car)
- Red calipers and tow eye
- Fli Components with speakers mounted on door pockets

Possible future mods (depending on money and time)
- Sport or leather seats
- Depo headlights
- False floor with hidden amp and sub, or false boot walls
- Upgrade rear speakers
- Lower and stiffer shocks?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I absolutely HATE exams! There are some corsa c sxi alloys on ebay finishing tomorrow not too far from me (about an hour and a half's drive) which I'd be more than happy to collect if I was at home, for £30 with no interest in them whatsoever! One does need a refurb and they don't come with any tyres, but I'd definitely have gone for them if I was at home!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looking like a good starting point shame don't have that mini what happened to it?
I sold it to a guy quite local to me actually. I still see it about every once in a while and always wish I hadn't had to sell it! But I got a good, fun year and a half in it and got a really good price at the end so it's not all bad!
Yeah I'm really pleased with the corsa - it's quite a clean example and if I start servicing it regularly I'm hoping it'll last for years. Just need to excite it a bit!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there something wrong with the paint on the bonnet? or is it reflections?
Must be reflections or water you're seeing! The bonnet has a few rust spots but otherwise is pretty perfect.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right then so so far I've got the dash plastics, chrome door handles, smoked side repeaters, stubby aerial, sunglasses holder (still not sure why I bought this :shocked:), valve caps and of course a Wales dragon (in black) to go on the back :rolleyes:

Possibly also got some bonnet lifters and door pins - still not sure if I like aftermarket door pins or not but I'll give them a go

And a possible lead on some vectra alloys

I finish my exams on thursday and go home on saturday, and can't wait to start fiddling about with my car! First job will be a good going over and a good clean, and then I'll start changing the bits.

If anyone has anyone comments/suggestions please let me know!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Do you know what a .COM has that others don't? I know they were only sold online or something, but I have a GLS and when I put my reg into some websites it comes up as a .COM model

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know they had alloys wheels, body coloured bumpers, central locking, PAS, sunroof and driver's airbag as standard, so not much to be honest! GLS's usually had ac and electric windows and stuff right? This one was actually advertised as a GLS so I got quite a bit off as I expected all the creature comforts!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I know they had alloys wheels, body coloured bumpers, central locking, PAS, sunroof and driver's airbag as standard, so not much to be honest! GLS's usually had ac and electric windows and stuff right? This one was actually advertised as a GLS so I got quite a bit off as I expected all the creature comforts!
The GLS I got didn't come with alloys or A/C but with everything else. I don't know if it used to have alloys though (it's had 5 previous owners since 1999).

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What do people think of these alloys? Can't decide if they'd suit my car or not...

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
That are quite nice, would need some smaller tyres though

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That are quite nice, would need some smaller tyres though
Yeah they're like balloons at the moment! Will see if I can get them cheap enough, or find good second hand tyres. I was just a bit worried that they'd be too...retro (if that's the right word to describe them??) for a corsa.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Your corsa is over 10 years old, I'd say that was pretty old anyway haha

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess :D

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the guy's just taken £80 to finish the auction early :(

Oh well the search continues...

·
Registered
51 Posts
You're the first person I have seen on here with a corsa like mine, I also have a 1.2 5dr corsa .com

I went and asked Vauxhall what was so different, turns out they were like a millenium edition - you could only buy them on vauxhall.com and they were only sold in 2000

Im gonna watch this thread, see what youre doing differently to me

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What sort of things have you done to yours then? Like I've said most of my changes are gonna be subtle, small ones. I wish I could be a bit more adventurous but unfortunately the funds don't allow it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
so far all the obvious ones, lowering exhaust etc but there is plenty of small mods

When I had the alloys on, i thought they looked better without the centre caps on

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I'm finally home from Uni, and decided today to start some work on my car! I was going to give it a proper wash and polish, but the weather was against me. So I've started fitting my new pieces. Still waiting on mu struts and dash pieces, but here's everything I have so far!

Smoked repeaters, which are the exact shade I was hoping for, along with chrome bulbs

Bullet aerial (a bit shorter than expected, but signal is great!)

Sunglasses holder

Vectra chrome door handles

And of course, the welsh dragon!

I've also started work on a custom removable dock for my mp3 player, so we'll see how that goes!

Comments and suggestions welcomed!

1 - 20 of 351 Posts