All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People
Newbee! Through a combination of fate and bad luck (long story) my son now has a 4 door 1.4 sohc N corsa b and a M 3 door 1.4 door corsa B. The N reg has a catastrophic MOT failure and is scrap, sorned, well beyond my MIG skills, the M has a brand new 2 inch hole in the rear of the crankcase and is less one big end, but remarkably, still runs, on all three and.. has 10 months MOT! Apart from that and 2 doors, identical (faded peely pink). I need to get him mobile and the plan is to swap the good engine in the N with the bad on the M. No rebuild. I am an old hand at engine rebuilds in younger days, changed engines over in evenings, but cars older, engine bays bigger, RWD, me younger etc. Steam engines no problem (my nickname). His Haynes says to remove almost everything except the head lining and lower gbox and engine through the 1m gap you created by jacking the car up. No way! These are 16 years old? Haynes should read "grind heads off all bolts you can find and drill out". Surely the bad luck will end and some nice person on this forum will tell me they can be squeeezed and lifted upwards minus gbox? I expect to have to remove all ancillaries, battery trays and small pieces of body that can be MIGed back in. All I want to do is swap engines and clutch and forget about the whole thing.
Thanks in advance. Tom

·
Registered
60 Posts
you dont have to cut anything off just remove all the engine mounts from the block and the engine will come out of the top anyway (on an angle complete with gearbox)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you dont have to cut anything off just remove all the engine mounts from the block and the engine will come out of the top anyway (on an angle complete with gearbox)
Hi. Thanks very much for the reply, exceptionally good news! I am feeling far more positve!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just walked down the road with son asking him where the bad noise started. Picked up six pieces of crankcase and the bottom half of a big end, broken in two. Which confirms my diagnosis, "wait for Dad to get home before you drive a car with a tick tick from the bottom end".

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
simple to do remove battery and tray undo exhaust from manifold. undo wiring from starter and alternator and other wires around engine.
jack car up and undo lower ball joints pull drives out of box but be sure to drain gearbox first as this will be needed again.
undo gear selectors theres is a 13mm bolt which can be seen from underneath undo and slide off .
undo all engine mounts 1 underneath 1 at left hand side near front and one opposite side on gearbox at front have engine supported while undoing these as it will drop otherwise.
gently begin to lift engine from engine bay making sure no wire or cables are still attached once engine is not catching and all free continue to remove it will be a bit awkward as it has to come out at an angle
and same procedure in reverse when refitting.

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
black 5f? that a traction engine or steam train?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
black 5f? that a traction engine or steam train?
A big black railway locomotive!

Bust engine out (without a crane) and in the boot. What a pain, only comes out at an angle, had to take pressure plate off with engine slid over. Options, take off pulley, might give just enough, or take off clutch, slide on output shaft, get engine in and then do plate up through the little hole. Borrowed a crane for refit. Might squeeze in at the right angle.

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts