All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i decided to make another thread due to the fact that the other one is cluttered with questions, as stated in the other one, i done a compression test on my car, doing a dry then wet test on each cylinder however the compression tester was crap and didn't work properly, after about 10-15 minutes of running fine, the car started misfiring badly. I decided to take the plug out to clean them and they where all black. Now these plugs are probably more than 3 years old. This is there condition after a clean.

·
Banned
885 Posts
It's 'bit' out of focus, but you can see that the earth electrodes are worn.
Also that plug looks a bit sooty, but if the engine had not been running for very long before you took the plugs out, it may just be down to the richer starting mixture.

I would treat it to a new set of plugs whilst they are out and if it is anything like due for a FULL service, give it a birthday while you are at it.

If there are still problems after that, it would be a good idea to get any fault codes read, rather than guessing at possible causes and buying parts that you may not even need.

Regards.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that mate, i think the plugs are actually older than 3 years old to be honest. Might as well just replace them as they're cheap. Also i done a spark test and one doesn't spark, one seems fine and the other one has a weak spark as its orange/yellow. Think this may be the problem.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok guys well I went to see if anywhere was opened to get spark plugs but there wasn't so my mate let me try the plugs out of his corsa which has a x12xe however these didn't work either, I tried mine in his also and they worked fine. Is there anyway the coil pack could be toast and is there anyway to check it before I shell out on a diagnostics reader?

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Apart from visually checking the coilpack - look for signs of cracks or deposits around where the contacts with the plugs are - the only real way is to swap for a known good one. Aftermarket ones tend to be less reliable, so I'd stick with the genuine article if you can.

·
Banned
885 Posts
If you used your coil pack for the HT when you did the spark test, the fact that one didn't work and one gave an orange/yellow spark, MIGHT just be telling you all that you need to know.

As said above though, some of these 'will-fit' coil packs, as well as some other components, can leave a lot to be desired - I know that people will say that they have used them and not had trouble - Aren't they lucky!!

Regards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.