All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm new to the forums and just 2 months ago purchased my first car,

When I went to view the car and the guy turned it over it idled jumpy and he said that it was a mass air flow meter problem, he said it drove fine and it was meant to sound like that (guessing he was talking bollicks) my dad drove it back 9 mile to our house and kept complaining of it trying to stall, the car was very jerky and even clapped out on a road, we eventually got it home and since got a mechanic out, he also said it was the mass air flow sensor that was the problem I have fitted 2 brand new ones and no difference, also changed the plug that goes into the sensor and no difference the car sounds terrible and barely drives, and since I'm a new driver to the roads it really tests me at junctions and basically driving, I hope anyone can help me fix this as I understand it is a common problem with these cars. Just to let you know it is a 2000 reg, 1.0 3cylinder 12v engine, please help?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it does this, I understand these 3 cylinder engines aren't meant to sound the greatest when idling but this is ridiculous the whole car vibrates and shakes.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Start with the basics - when did it last have a thorough service, all filters and new spark plugs?

The way to test the AFM is to disconnect it, the ECU will revert to a default setting. If it runs better with the AFM disconnected then the AFM is dud, if it's the same then it's not the AFM. Also - only every use genuine Bosch AFMs on them.

Check that the engine management light comes on with the ignition and goes off when the engine starts. See if it is coming on at all whilst driving.

It would be worth checking the fault codes - you need a reader for yours. Put up your location see if anyone nearby with a reader will oblige.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Start with the basics - when did it last have a thorough service, all filters and new spark plugs?

The way to test the AFM is to disconnect it, the ECU will revert to a default setting. If it runs better with the AFM disconnected then the AFM is dud, if it's the same then it's not the AFM. Also - only every use genuine Bosch AFMs on them.

Check that the engine management light comes on with the ignition and goes off when the engine starts. See if it is coming on at all whilst driving.

It would be worth checking the fault codes - you need a reader for yours. Put up your location see if anyone nearby with a reader will oblige.
the afm is between the airbox and top of the carb type looking thing yea??? will the car run with that disconnected??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies guys! Got my dads friend coming out tomorrow and we are gonna try your ideas and see if the car finally works properly!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts