All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i have a vauxhall corsa 1.6i 16v sport (v reg 1999), 60k miles.

7 months ago, in november '06, i started to hear a tapping noise coming from the engine, so i checked the oil. the oil on the dipstick was light tan in colour and was well below the normal level, it looked almost empty. i took it to a well known garage (not naming any names) for advice on the tapping noise and for an oil change. after changing the oil, the mechanic told me that it didn't really need to be changed, and that the tapping noise wasn't related to the oil level. however, when i drove away from the garage, the tapping had completely stopped.
it is now june '07 and the tapping noise has started again. i am yet to check the oil level, but i am guessing it is going to be low. i have noticed that where i park my car, the is an oil patch on the ground, and it isn't just a few drops - it is fairly large. i can only assume that engine oil has been slowly leaking for some time now.
i am putting the car in for another oil change, as i am driving from newcastle to blackpool and back again next week, so i need to get it topped up. my only questions are, why is oil leaking in the first place, what is it that needs repaired and how much does it typically cost? oh, and how often should i normally need to change the oil, if there are'nt any problems/leaks?

thanks for any replies/advice received.

:) funkyspaceman :)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Have a good look over the engine for any obvious leaks or signs of leaks, thats all i would suggest as a starting point

·
Registered
696 Posts
first to check would be the sump. get it jacked up and have a look for any holes. and check the rocker gasket too. both of these happened to mine

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Check the sump, oil filter look for an sweaty bits on the engine and that should give you a good indication on where its leaking from.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
yeah sump gasket is a definite possibility, or perhaps the sump is cracked.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
You'll have to jack the car up and give it all a good clean underneath and try and spot where the leak is coming from. It's gotta be dripping quite quickly for an oil patch to appear on the floor.

Ideas from a Haynes Manual:

Tapping or rattling noises - Worn Valve gear or camshaft
Water pump/alternator fault

Oil might be leaking from the drain plug
Oil might be leaking from the oil filter
Gearbox oil perhaps

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Obvious places are the sump could be cracked, the sump gasket may be leaking, the drain plug may be loose or need the washer replacing, or the oil filter may be loose or leaking.

The 1.6 sports do burn oil a bit, my advice is to keep checking your oil level at least once a month. Tapping is normally caused by not enough oil getting up to the tappets, that's why when you fill up the oil the tapping stops.

Oil changes are advised between 5,000 to 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just a guess but don't Corsa's have hydraulic tappets? (they use oil to stop them making a tapping noise, hence when your oil level is OK no tapping). The mechanic should have looked for a leak if you told him that there was a problem. How long does it take for the oil level to drop to low?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine did this.. all over the spark plugs.. its just a seal if its what i think it is.. i just used some like window mastick.. sealed it up good :D mines done 60k too.. plenty of life still in it :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts