All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right where do i start, well i have a couple of problems with my corsa that i hope either anyones had before and fixed or has heard of this sort of thing:

Problem 1. My Fan in my car just doesnt work...well techniqually it does because ive shorted it and then fan works, but whatever tells the fan that my car is getting hot...isnt switching the fan on. Picture this, im sitting in traffic and my car gradually gets closer and closer to 100 on the temp gaugae. On most normal cars the fan kicks in to cool the car down...mine doesnt and continues past 100! (I have to switch my heating on full blast to cool the engine down)

Problem 2. When my car does start to get hot, the bottle that holds my radiator water, starts to bubble as usual when things get hot, then it starts to spill out from underneath the cap hence i lose water in my radiator bottle and have to keep topping it back up again??

Any ideas anyone, Cheers

·
Registered
122 Posts
Problem 1. My Fan in my car just doesnt work...well techniqually it does because ive shorted it and then fan works, but whatever tells the fan that my car is getting hot...isnt switching the fan on. Picture this, im sitting in traffic and my car gradually gets closer and closer to 100 on the temp gaugae. On most normal cars the fan kicks in to cool the car down...mine doesnt and continues past 100! (I have to switch my heating on full blast to cool the engine down)
It sounds like your thermostat is beginning to fail - mine has started to do the same thing - I avoid traffic jams like the plague:rolleyes:

Problem 2. When my car does start to get hot, the bottle that holds my radiator water, starts to bubble as usual when things get hot, then it starts to spill out from underneath the cap hence i lose water in my radiator bottle and have to keep topping it back up again??
Well fix problem 1 and problem 2 should go away, but it sounds like the seal on your cap is going/has gone - replace it or the whole cap and you should keep water where you want it.

J.

·
Registered
122 Posts
2. Can you pick a cap in all good car shops?
Certainly anywhere that sells Corsa spares, other's here might be more helpful on this one as I don't live in the UK any more.

As for the Thermostat - which one it is, I'd only be guessing. Wait for one of the others in here that knows the engine inside out :confused:

J.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had this in my corsa and it turned out to be the headgasket - I can recall some one saying that if the water is bubbling that is a sign of the headgasket I would check your underneath of your oil cap for a mayonnaise type substance to see if it is

It might not be the headgasket but I'm just trying to help you cover all options to what the problem is

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Go to any vauxhall parts place and just ask for a thermostat. As for problem 2, just get a new cap for the bottle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything is sorted....turns out that the washer in my coolant cap and split, expanded and so the cap was sitting on the seal properly. This led to pressure being realesed and the water spilling out! Replaced the cap with a new one and thought im just gonna sit here and let me car warm up and get all the way to 100, after finally getting there....whats this, my fan works! So yeah because of a rubber washer, the whole of my cooling system didnt work!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok problem number 1 sounds like the sensor that tells the computer that the car is hot is faulty and not able to tell the computer that its hot therefore not bringing on the fan.

Problem number 2 ur seal on ur cap is stuff and also check that ur thermostat is opening to allow the water to run threw to the other side... easy way to check would be to feel ur radiator hoses infront of the thermostat and the back of the thermostat. if they are both equally hot then the thermostat is fine
if the back pipe is cooler then the front pipe well then ur thermostat is jammed

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Ok problem number 1 sounds like the sensor that tells the computer that the car is hot is faulty and not able to tell the computer that its hot therefore not bringing on the fan.

Problem number 2 ur seal on ur cap is stuff and also check that ur thermostat is opening to allow the water to run threw to the other side... easy way to check would be to feel ur radiator hoses infront of the thermostat and the back of the thermostat. if they are both equally hot then the thermostat is fine
if the back pipe is cooler then the front pipe well then ur thermostat is jammed
he has already sorted it....
read the post

1 - 11 of 11 Posts