All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I have bought a 1999 Corsa B, 1.0 12V recently (seemed like a good deal, as it only has 23600 miles on the clock and two owners), and after driving it for a while I started noticing the EM light appearing and disappearing at times (nothing triggers this, it can happen with engine hot or cold, I've driven at speed and slowly and couldn't figure out a pattern). According to the owner's manual, if the light comes on and off briefly that should be no cause for alarm (I think they dismiss it as being of "no significance").

I haven't noted any issues with the engine, the car runs absolutely fine with either light on or off, and it recently had the crankshaft sensor replaced (right before it was sold to me..., and it also had its MOT done last month with no advisories such as emission issues or anything). Should I worry too much about this? (I will probably get an Opcom next month to check it out... the guy who sold me the car had a scanner and we had a go at it today but unfortunately is only OBD-II compatible, so we didn't manage to do anything with it!)

The paperclip test does not work with the 1 litre engine's ECU, right? I remember reading about that somewhere... otherwise I could give it a go!

Thanks for any help you might give!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
paper clip doesn't work with 1.0.

Get opcom and read the codes is best option. This happened to mine and gradually got worse. Turned out to be MAF but will/could be something different in yours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
paper clip doesn't work with 1.0.

Get opcom and read the codes is best option. This happened to mine and gradually got worse. Turned out to be MAF but will/could be something different in yours.
Yeah, that's what I thought...
OK, I'll get an op-com and diagnose the issue. I've seen one online for about £23 with free delivery, and they state it will work on all Corsa B's from 1995 - http://www.obd2-scanner.com/opcom-op-com-vaux-com-opel-vauxhall-diagnostic-tool-obd-p-10.html. Would this still be compatible with the X10XE engine?

This is really annoying, as it didn't pop up during the test drive, and I've done lengthy drives without the light appearing, but then it will come again without any reason!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This morning I put some oil into the engine, as it was running quite low (initially I thought I had more, but I checked it in my street which is in a bit of a slope - stupid me!), and drove it through most of the afternoon (about 50-70 miles). The light didn't came on again.

Could it be a sensor monitoring oil pressure complaining about low pressure? It wasn't critical in a way that the red oil light would be lit, but it could have a second layer of warnings...

Anyway, I'll get the Op-com, I think it will be quite useful on the long run. Where do you guys get yours from? (I've posted a link above, it says there that it is compatible with my 1999 1.0 but I wanted to be really sure, as the unit is quite cheap - $36?)

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
This morning I put some oil into the engine, as it was running quite low (initially I thought I had more, but I checked it in my street which is in a bit of a slope - stupid me!), and drove it through most of the afternoon (about 50-70 miles). The light didn't came on again.

Could it be a sensor monitoring oil pressure complaining about low pressure? It wasn't critical in a way that the red oil light would be lit, but it could have a second layer of warnings...

Anyway, I'll get the Op-com, I think it will be quite useful on the long run. Where do you guys get yours from? (I've posted a link above, it says there that it is compatible with my 1999 1.0 but I wanted to be really sure, as the unit is quite cheap - $36?)

Cheers!
Probably cost ya 20 quid in fuel to get down here mate but I have obd2 software could bring it down and Ill plug it in for ya for a beer, I'm in Maidstone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably cost ya 20 quid in fuel to get down here mate but I have obd2 software could bring it down and Ill plug it in for ya for a beer, I'm in Maidstone.
Thanks, if I see the issue going worse I might come down to Maidstone during the weekend, so far the light hasn't come back yet (*touch wood* :D).

Anyway, I'll definitely get one Op-com for myself, I've seen enough reports around here to appreciate its usefulness!

Thanks for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts