All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find the adjusting wheel for the rear off side (UK offside :)) brake shoe adjuster on an X plate 1.0 Corsa. This is the one inside the rear drum. Is it in the 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock position or some where else?

I hate these adjusters!

Is the only way to get at this wheel through the drum via one of the wheel bolt holes?

Thanks Dirk Pitt

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi Dirk, well as far as i know their automatic adjusters, and i don't think there are any holes in the back plate, if you think its not working or needs a tweek, i think you will have to take the drum or hub off, tweek it a bit and put it back on, if it is a wheel, some have sliding ratchets....good luck from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Fred. I need to remove the drum so I can replace the handbrake cable that has snapped. alas I can not get the drum off as the brake shoes catch the drum, I assume there is a lip inside the drum.

The adjusters you refer to, are they the ones for ordinary braking and operated hydraulically?

Dirk Pitt

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi Dirk, that can be a problem, i used to use a slide hammer, i know it not strictly correct but what can you do, or get a 2 lb hammer and tap evenly both sides, sometimes you can get a screwdriver between the backplate and the drum and sort of lever it and hit it etc....that adjuster inside the drum effects both the hand and the foot brake, when you have finished what your doing its a good idea to set the adjusters as close as you can then adjust the hand brake cable afterwards, it a question of leverage...has it broken onside the drum, they usually go round the quadrant through lack of lubrication, if the little stub bit is ok just take it out the couper outside the drum..Fred.

Cheers Fred. I need to remove the drum so I can replace the handbrake cable that has snapped. alas I can not get the drum off as the brake shoes catch the drum, I assume there is a lip inside the drum.

The adjusters you refer to, are they the ones for ordinary braking and operated hydraulically?

Dirk Pitt

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dirk, that can be a problem, i used to use a slide hammer, i know it not strictly correct but what can you do, or get a 2 lb hammer and tap evenly both sides, sometimes you can get a screwdriver between the backplate and the drum and sort of lever it and hit it etc....that adjuster inside the drum effects both the hand and the foot brake, when you have finished what your doing its a good idea to set the adjusters as close as you can then adjust the hand brake cable afterwards, it a question of leverage...has it broken onside the drum, they usually go round the quadrant through lack of lubrication, if the little stub bit is ok just take it out the couper outside the drum..Fred.
I gave up and tried to smash the drum off. this did nit work but had the effect of your 2lb hammer and the drum came off in 1 bit. As I'd tried to break the drum I've decided to replace it along with the shoes and the slave cylinder as for the first time with a car, broke the bleed nipple. I'll change the other side.

The brake adjuster is a poor design for mechanics to work on
Has anyone drilled and extra hole in the back plate so they can get to the adjuster from the other side?

the cable snapped at the adjuster with the other cable or there abouts.

tomorrow I will bleed the brakes having replaced the slave and refit the offside drum and wheel and while in the air replace the fuel filter.

Thank you for the advice, no doubt I will have other problems and be back but
today has not been a pleasure.

dirk pitt

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi Dirk well sounds like you done it, i broken a few bleeders off, ocupational hazard...before you drill a hole in the back plate you might find the adjuster has a ratchet on and you can only do it up, if you try to undo it, it wont turn....you will find the second side easier as you know how to do it now,,anyway. well done and Happy Christmas...Fred.

I gave up and tried to smash the drum off. this did nit work but had the effect of your 2lb hammer and the drum came off in 1 bit. As I'd tried to break the drum I've decided to replace it along with the shoes and the slave cylinder as for the first time with a car, broke the bleed nipple. I'll change the other side.

The brake adjuster is a poor design for mechanics to work on
Has anyone drilled and extra hole in the back plate so they can get to the adjuster from the other side?

the cable snapped at the adjuster with the other cable or there abouts.

tomorrow I will bleed the brakes having replaced the slave and refit the offside drum and wheel and while in the air replace the fuel filter.

Thank you for the advice, no doubt I will have other problems and be back but
today has not been a pleasure.

dirk pitt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts