All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, its been a while since I last visited the Forum...dam exams and thesis!!!!

Well, here my deal; I will be upgrading the front brake system in my Corsa B 1.0L year 2000. I am planing in stalling the actual brake system (236mm solid brakes and standard calipers) in the rear axle of the car.
At eBay i found this:

"Vauxhall Nova Corsa 2.0 rear disc conversion plates"

My questions are;

1- Did anyone here made this conversion? Is it difficult?
2- Will the original disc and calipers fit in the rear with these plates?
3- How this plates are mounted? Do I need to weld?
and finaly...
4- Appart from those plates, the callipers and discs which I already have; do I need any other part?

I really appreciate your help. If I decide to make this conversion, I will post the "how-to" to share with you guys!
Offcourse, if someone did it and has pictures of the procces, i would really appreciate to have them!
Thank you very much for your help, Hope to hear good news from you as soon as possible. Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
www.chrisastleymotorsport.co.uk make and sell them, they also have a forum where they help with fitting advice and info.
It's the best I could help with as I've not had experience in fitting them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
you have to cut your old plate off and reweld the new one on (above) then bolt the FULL hub to that plate just like your old plate is.

i been looking at them as i got the full astra GSi break setup but now thinking of selling it lol

·
Registered
405 Posts
Disks stop the car faster and smoother and don't fade like drums. Drums are only fitted as a cost cutting measure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as im upgradign the front brakes, i will have the original front system without useing it. installing them at the back means much more braking power, thats what I want pal

·
Registered
476 Posts
Disks stop the car faster and smoother and don't fade like drums. Drums are only fitted as a cost cutting measure.
on the front yea, discs on rear wont make any differnce. under heavy braking the front dives and back goes light, the back wheels are just gonna lock and your gonna crash and die

·
Registered
405 Posts
on the front yea, discs on rear wont make any differnce. under heavy braking the front dives and back goes light, the back wheels are just gonna lock and your gonna crash and die
The front does take about 70% of the braking yes but good brakes on the back also helps under heavy braking. Go out on your bike, get up to speed and slam just the front brake on...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
exactly, that was what i had in mind. the front ones are the ones that make the mayor effort. so i was planning to change the for vented discs (i asume there will be a great difference in braking power between solid an vented), and then as i would have the original brakes (discs and calipers) useless, i thought in installing them at the back. i understand that the front ones do the greates effort, but also installing discs at the back shpuld improve braking performance...that was was I had in mind

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
looks better with discs though! lol

id put your original 1ltr ones on the back, then get 2ltr ones on the front, cant go wrong, i find my brakes are decent for the ltrs, but bigger the better :)

if they start to lock up on the back then adjust your brake bias

·
Registered
599 Posts
You dont need discs on the back a corsa weighs nothing and discs will just lock the back up. just upgrade the shoes

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Why don't you just have 4 drums then? It's nothing to do with the strength. Drums lock and fade too quickly.
Yeah, if I were to upgrade my brakes, it would most likely be to reduce brake fade.

As Ive said before... if you want to get the best braking performance for your car, upgrade the brakes if you like, they wont do any harm, but perhaps the most important things are:

Make sure your tyres are good (lots of grip and tread)
Ensure your brakes are well adjusted. This lets each wheel deliver maximum braking force. If one brake is too tight, that wheel will start to skid before the others have reached their maximum braking potential, meaning you will lose some control, whilst not slowing down all that quickly anyway.

Just my 2p worth.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Totally agree. You might want to do some research into the adjustment of your brakes mfernandes so you know what you need to get the best out of whatever you end up with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts