All Corsa Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else had this problem...

I recently had a new backbox fitted onto my Corsa b. It is a standard cheap backbox, nothing special. Anyway.. I drove my car home, all was fine. Then, I took my car out to the supermarket on quite a long drive. As I'm driving along, I start to hear a dodgy loud banging noise coming from where my backbox is.

I get the car home & check it out. Nothing seems wrong.

It turns out that because the backbox is cheap, the fittings are longer than normal. The mechanic explained this to me & tried to rectify it. No luck. As the backbox got hot, it expanded causing the fittings to tap against the back of my bumper area. This really sounded dodgy in the car. Having the fittings chopped down a bit on Tuesday.. thank god. :laugh:

Anyone else had a similar problem?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well kind of....but in a different place and for different reason.

When I fitted the 1.6 into my SRi, I left the downpipe/centre section from the 1.4 intact. Just this afternoon, I've had to take the car to have the tracking checked over (still fine) and had them put a new rubber mount near my cat. The 'lip' on the left side of the cat has been resonating against the underside causing an awful rattling when idle :mad:

Did it sound like a woodpecker Lyds? :laugh:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Only when i go over big speedbumps a tapping noise always happens when going over them, I wasnt too sure what it was but I went in my mates corsa and it was exactly the same noise.

I think its the exhaust hitting the axle for me though :confused:

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Only when i go over big speedbumps a tapping noise always happens when going over them, I wasnt too sure what it was but I went in my mates corsa and it was exactly the same noise.

I think its the exhaust hitting the axle for me though :confused:
mine used to hit the axle but i got my exhaust reshaped for a 10er all sorted now.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Lyds, a guess is it sounds like it's not pushed on far enough at the join to the centre pipe.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i had the same prob lyds i got a cheap staandard back box and the hangers are to long having them choped down sholud sort it out i bent mine so the back box hung lower an that sorted it but its a right b*tch to get on an off though

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Quite a common problem with fitting new exhausts is that that bang on the axle, its because they hang too far down and move around a bit, i managed to rectify mine with a couple of cables ties so its not so loose and wobbly :)

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Quite a common problem with fitting new exhausts is that that bang on the axle, its because they hang too far down and move around a bit, i managed to rectify mine with a couple of cables ties so its not so loose and wobbly :)
Lol, it's just as easy to unbolt the securing clip, hold it higher then bolt back up really tight. Works every time for me.

·
Registered
901 Posts
man what you on about :s

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well kind of....but in a different place and for different reason.

When I fitted the 1.6 into my SRi, I left the downpipe/centre section from the 1.4 intact. Just this afternoon, I've had to take the car to have the tracking checked over (still fine) and had them put a new rubber mount near my cat. The 'lip' on the left side of the cat has been resonating against the underside causing an awful rattling when idle :mad:

Did it sound like a woodpecker Lyds? :laugh:
Yep it sounds like a woodpecker on speed or something!!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah my dad suggested having it pushed back onto the pipe further. But I think the mechanic is going to chop down the fittings for a couple of cans of Carling :thumbs_up: He's a good bloke by me.

·
Registered
696 Posts
i improvised when my backbox was hanging too low, i turned my rubbers round, put both sets of hangars in the centre hole and then stuck a cable tie around the rubber, sat perfect now, no wobble

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just by shorter stiffened rubbers to stop the wobble only a couple of quid.:thumbs_up:
I've done that. It's not the rubbers. It's the fittings being too long mate. I replaced all the rubber exhaust mountings - no joy. The mechanic will sort it!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
my exhaust nocks on everything, the bumper, the chassis, the axle, the hangers, and last but not least, speedhumps, but you get used to it if your cool like me :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
lol i dont have that trouble any more i bought a peco stainlless system only prob i got now is my cat hs gone so gotta for out just over 100 quid for a new 1 my little corsa sounds like a tank at the mo lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts