All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, if i let the car idle up to temperature (95c) the fan is supposed to kick in shortly after to keep the car at 95c but it doesn't lately and it slowly crawls up to the red..

i can hear the fan relay click when the fan is supposed to come on though, so what could be the cause of the problem?

P.S. i have posted this on other forums but nobody seems to be giving me answers -.-, and also i would take it to a garage but they have a nasty habit of ripping people off with stuff like this..

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
New fan switch? try that , or do the cheap option and run a manual switch to it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there a way i could test the switch in this car?

and i was thinking about a manual switch but im to lazy to keep an eye on the temperature gauge all the time haha! :laugh:

so i think i'd rather it come on automatically :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also, i was thinking that it could be the relay, but i swapped over the relays (cause there was another relay exactly the same) and it still had the same problem, unless the both of the relays are dead? :/

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
A lot of them don't kick in until the fan is in the red.

To test the fan simply bridge the two wires running to the thermoswitch in the side of the radiator. The fan should then run. If it doesn't then either the relay is dud or the fan is not working.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks a lot you guys, i've finally booked it in to the dreadful garage that will probably rip me off and tell me the whole fan needs replacing and stuff..

Also, i've just noticed the indicators aren't working + front wipers aren't working on slow only fast, and then they don't go back down to the starting position if i turn them off, they stay in the middle of the window..

so i think its got to be the relays/fuses..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
took it to the garage today, they hadn't got a clue what it was, but they give me the number for an auto electrician, went to see the auto electrician and he said, the fan is receiving power so the only other thing it could be is the radiator switch, and if its not that the radiator is blocked :)

so happy days. under £10 for the radiator switch. great. :D unless obviously the radiator is blocked lol

thanks everyone for the help by the way!

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Bridge the fan to test if fan itself isn't broken.

This was diagnosed in another members bread today, if you was a little more patient, you could have saved money by not calling out auto leccy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The auto electrician bridged the fan and the fan is working.. and it didn't cost me a penny :laugh: he told me what was wrong with it, i pulled out my wallet and he said "no need to pay"
i was actually shocked.. he probably could have charged me something like £30 just to take a look at it! very nice guy and he also told me how to replace it (i know anyway but that's not the point lmao)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts