All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !

I am new to Corsa's (currently have a MK3 Astra) but think a Corsa may be my next car as I try to squeeze a few more MPG out of my wallet, the possible candidates seem to be 2002-2006 models.

Can anyone give me any pointers of what models to look out for in terms of economy and reliability ? It will mostly be used for school runs and to and from my appointments around town.

I am considering petrol and diesel and really wahnt to be sure which of each are the engines to go for or to avoid to get the best chances or reliability and economy. I heard that some Corsa's have Fiat engines that are less reliable is that correct ?

ALso are there any particular considerations regarding insurance group and tax band or are they all about the same ?

Regards,

Frosty

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The 1.3cdti is an appalling engine, designed by satan himself, and forged from molten hate. :laugh: Never known anything modern that's less reliable
The 1.7cdti is fantastic though. Both are Fiat, but the 1.7 is a good engine.
The petrols are GM engines. The 1.0 sounds appealing for fuel consumption, but realistically, you end up driving it harder to make up for it's lack of grunt even if you don't consider yourself to be heavy footed. Best petrol for MPG I'd say is the 1.2

If you want really cheap, the 1.5td Corsa B is great. They're cheap reliable and will return 60mpg. And if you fancy a bit more power you can turn the boost and fuelling up with a screwdriver :D

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
If I was buying a Corsa C on grounds of cheap running costs I'd go for the 1.2 petrol as well. Just make sure it's been well serviced. They use a timing chain rather than a belt which is good news if it's had plenty of oil changes. If servicing is poor the chain can wear and get noisy and replacement is more expensive than changing a timing belt.

The 1.7 diesel is good, but in terms of mpg/insurance/tax/servicing - for general round town use the 1.2 petrol will work out more cost effective.

There are lots to choose from, so pick carefully. Any odd noises in the engine should be avoided.

Check the steering works properly, the electronic power steering isn't the best system in the world. Corrosion wise they are pretty good, they rot much less than the B.

General advice on what to look for when buying any used car http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/buy-used-corsa-14382.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks to both of you for the advice, I'm glad I asked as I had seen some 1.3 CDTI's and the MPG specs looked good but now I see these are best avoided, and it seems that the 1.2 petrol is going to be more econiomical than the larger diesel.

I have seen something nice that is describes as a 1.2 Design 16v, so I assume that this is the one with the chain ? That would be good as I'm always nervous with belts (they don't make a noise then they are going to break !). The only problem is it's a 2 door but I know a bit about where it came from which counts for something.

Whats a realistic urban MPG for a 2004 1.2 petrol ?

Regards,

Frosty

·
Registered
842 Posts
I drive a 2003 1.2 petrol and its a really nice engine, as long as its been serviced properly as taurus said. On average I get 42mpg which is pretty urban driving. The worst I have ever had was 36mpg, that was thrashing it on short drives. On a motorway run I have had 50.

Points to look out for:
Noisy timing chain (engine will sound like a tractor)
Heater not blowing hot (matrix and resistor can both go)
Wet footwells in the front (several problems that can cause this)
Gear linkage (design fault can cause them to go, make sure every gear can be selected easily)
HANDBRAKE- probably the most common fault on Corsa Cs, the design is utter rubbish, I have never known a C without a crappy handbrake. Test it and if its bad try and get money off the car, they are fixable fairly cheaply.

Theres plenty more but these are the problems Ive had with mine.

As they are cheap to run and insure a lot of them have been first time drivers cars/boy racers so there are a lot of sheds out there.

Best advice would be to get one from a garage with a full service history, and a few months warranty. If I was buying another that's what Id do.

Hope that helped :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, it shows they are relatives of Astras ! LOL

I've been wondring about buying privately or from a dealer, I can see the benefit of buying from a dealer however I don't know which dealers are OK so may be paing quite a premium for nothing !

Regards,

Frosty

·
Registered
842 Posts
Thanks, it shows they are relatives of Astras ! LOL

I've been wondring about buying privately or from a dealer, I can see the benefit of buying from a dealer however I don't know which dealers are OK so may be paing quite a premium for nothing !

Regards,

Frosty
I can't really help with that, as Ive never bought from a dealer.

There are still plenty of good private buys to be had, I would just make sure it was low mileage with full service history and absolutely spotless.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dear Frosty,
I agree with much of the above advice. Avoid the 1.3 Diesel.
The 1.2 is a fine engine, (although we bought the 1.4 - it's a case of what's around at the time).
The older 1.7 diesel is ok, pre '04 reg I think. About then they changed over to the 1.3.
Don't worry too much about tax band, that's putting the cart before the horse - choose a good Corsa and you won't even think of the tax, better than choosing a bad one with cheap tax.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
The 1.7 is available all the way through the range and is still available in the Corsa D. It is a very good engine, but better suited to higher mileage use than you seem to be indicating.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ok the 1.7 is still around but it's now common rail and it's only in the "sporty" models with over 120 bhp I believe. It's not the same feel as the lower power (but good) ones we had in 2000 - 2003, those more modest models are now all covered by the awful 1.3 Diesel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Still didn't make a decision yet as I keep repairing the old Astra but that won't work forever !

I was wondering how the Corsa C 1.4 and the 1.0 petrol engine compares to the 1.2 ? Should certain ones be avoided and are these three all chain rather than belt ?

I heard some of the petrol engines are Suzuki is that correct ?

Oh and am I right in thinking 8v petrol engines dont exist for a Corsa C ? Soeey if this is dumbe but I see some marked Twinport and don't know what it means of if that makes it a better or worse buy !

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
The Corsa C 1.4 uses a timing belt.

The 1.0 & 1.2 are both chain driven engines - these are Suzuki derived engines. Unless you are deciding solely on insurance costs the 1.2 is a better buy than the 1.0.

No Corsa C are 8v - they went out of production in the mid-1990's.

Twinport is a system whereby at certain throttle settings the head closes two of the valves so the engine breathes as an 8v engine. Google it if you want the full details. But they are all multivalve engines

(Just for fun - the 1.4 in the Corsa D is now also a chain engine of the same generic type as the 1.0 & 1.2.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, so is the 1.4 in a Corsa C best avoided in favour of a 1.2 then or are both OK ?

Thanks for the info on twinport, sounds like it's more to go wrong and best avoided to me, of is it reliable enough technology ?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Never heard on twinport causing issues tbh.
The 1.4s are alright, quite nippy, and should be decent on fuel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, so the only thing about the 1.4 is my nervousness about the timing belt which I suffer from. SO perhaps the conclusion is try for a 1.2 but theres no need to turn down a good deal on a 1.0 or 1.4 if they otherwise tick all the boxes ?

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
They are all good cars. I'd go for either the 1.2 or 1.4 if you don't have to stick to a 1.0 for cheap insurance. Of the two both are good engines. I prefer the 1.2 type of engine to work on - but that's purely personal. The 1.4 is a good engine and if you stick to timing belt changes you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, is the preference for the 1.2 or 1.4 just a performance thing (are they very underpowered) or are there any reliability issues that are present in the 1.0 and not the others ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts