All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently noticed my electronics light had come on on the dashboard - at first intermittently and then on the last drive it was permanently on. My heating was also just blowing cold air constantly.
I checked under the bonnet, oil level was fine - and no noticeable "mayo" as I've seen on other posts about this - but I realised I had no engine coolant. Bought some, topped it up and the light went off and heating came on! Hurrah!
However, I checked under the bonnet again to find that all the engine coolant had gone.
There's been no smoke from underneath the bonnet and no noticeable driving issues, so i'm hoping that this may just be a leak somewhere?
Any advice would be good! I don't want to be ripped off by a garage somewhere!!
Looking into perhaps getting some of this Radweld stuff i've seen recommended too. Any ideas on if this would be a good idea or not?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi there i wouldn't use radweld unless you really have to, too much of that can block the radiator waterways....what you have to realise is there is only two place the water can go, one is its leaking out somewhere, and the other is, its getting into the combustion chamber because of a faulty head gasket,,,so just go from there.

I would guess its leaking somewhere and you haven't found it, there will either be some wet patches underneath or in the car on the carpets etc, and a bit of steam maybe....if its the head gasket you should see coolant either dripping out the exhaust, or a ton of steam coming out there when you rev it...the head gasket can also go by the coolant getting into the engine oil, making it go milky and in some cases putting the oil level up, and it will a horrible colour...also check the pressure cap, hope this helps from Fred in Essex.

Recently noticed my electronics light had come on on the dashboard - at first intermittently and then on the last drive it was permanently on. My heating was also just blowing cold air constantly.
I checked under the bonnet, oil level was fine - and no noticeable "mayo" as I've seen on other posts about this - but I realised I had no engine coolant. Bought some, topped it up and the light went off and heating came on! Hurrah!
However, I checked under the bonnet again to find that all the engine coolant had gone.
There's been no smoke from underneath the bonnet and no noticeable driving issues, so i'm hoping that this may just be a leak somewhere?
Any advice would be good! I don't want to be ripped off by a garage somewhere!!
Looking into perhaps getting some of this Radweld stuff i've seen recommended too. Any ideas on if this would be a good idea or not?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply!
Pretty sure everything was normal in the oil tank when I checked it. No weird white stuff, change in colour or increased level.
Haven't noticed any steam coming from under the bonnet or from the exhaust. I'll have to check for drips and leaks inside the car though.
The pressure cap also seemed fine, and was still slightly pressurised both times I went to put more coolant in.
Any other glaring signs of its the head gasket that's gone? Really hoping it'll just be a leak as I don't think the car would be worth a massive repair job!

Hi there i wouldn't use radweld unless you really have to, too much of that can block the radiator waterways....what you have to realise is there is only two place the water can go, one is its leaking out somewhere, and the other is, its getting into the combustion chamber because of a faulty head gasket,,,so just go from there.

I would guess its leaking somewhere and you haven't found it, there will either be some wet patches underneath or in the car on the carpets etc, and a bit of steam maybe....if its the head gasket you should see coolant either dripping out the exhaust, or a ton of steam coming out there when you rev it...the head gasket can also go by the coolant getting into the engine oil, making it go milky and in some cases putting the oil level up, and it will a horrible colour...also check the pressure cap, hope this helps from Fred in Essex

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi Jennie, well the only way to be totally sure it's not the head gasket it to take it a to a garage i'm afraid, what they do is use a chemical analyzer, they get a clear plastic container, put it on the neck of the header tank, put some blue liquid in the tester, run the car up so it's hot, and basically suck off any combustion gases that are in the coolant tank, if it finds any the liquid it turns green or yellow...if it stays blue your ok, the other way is to put the probe of a gas analizer in the tank and if it finds any combustion gases it comes up as Hydro Carbons on the display....personally i would keep topping it up and check for leaks, but don't over fill it, think there is a level line on the tank, if you fill it right up it will throw out what it doesn't want when it expands, then go back to the right level..if that makes sense...Fred.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.