All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Few areas of issues with the current paint work.

It appears in some spot areas that someone has repainted over a mark and it doesnt match up with the faded paint.

In non-natural light you can see the front doors and roof are sun-died looking.

On the roof along the plastic trim were I beleive a roof rack can be fitted it appears to have black flakes in the paint that didnt come off with a normal car wash.

They are several topics on this but since the Corsa C is common in bright colours I am confident that its common that the paint has faded. I am wondering if it is worth the paint work been restored but then with the bonnet been poorly touched up having it resprayed. Or a full car respray? and also would the current pain need to be cleaned or prepared for a respray also. estimated cost of a respray of the full car? or just the bonnet? I'll try get some images tonight of the problem areas. Am I right in thinking there is a different solution to the different types of problem areas?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Have the vehicle machine polished/get a tired arm using some G3 paint renovator (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1fels6jx1c_e) this should help with the faded paint.

The black spots sound like they could be tar or overspray from something, you can actually buy some proper stuff to get rid, but a good claying of the paintwork will also help (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-Su...=UTF8&qid=1366634046&sr=1-1&keywords=clay+bar)

An estimated cost of respray, can be anywhere from £750 to £2000+ depending on where you go.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK thanks. Jesus I didnt think it would cost that much. I'll get some images up later but the black spots are more like "flakes" than spots and yeah are ground into the paint.

The same stuff that will restore the paint should remove these too then? Thanks for the links, useful for a newbie like me!

Do I need a machine polisher also?

·
Registered
931 Posts
The clay bar will remove the spots, the G3 will restore the paint, then polish and wax as usual, machine polisher not necessary, just advised haha

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks pal I may get right on this

Do I have to take care in order to bring the paint out even? I also have "previous touch up" issues where it looks like someone has touched up and the touchup blue is much brighter.

Should I attempt to bring up my paint and then wait and see about respraying the bonnet where the touch ups are? I mean, if I even get it close to the fresh paint then It will be a damn sight better than the contrast between faded/sun baked and a fresh splodge.

I'll get one, be less graft, may do this this weekend when I get paid :D

Thanks!

EDIT: You say polish and wax as usual but I never have ha. I usually throw it through an auto car wash every week as I get a lot of crap off the milage I do!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Well, i'd make sure its clean first to prevent swirling.. It should be okay tbh, once the colour is back to its fullest all over then it won't be patchy. Once you've brought it back then the contrast may not be as great, the chips might disappear more, most body shops would try and colour match to the age as best as possible. They're good haha, I still need to get another one!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If I got to do nearly a whole car I'm gonna need a lot of this stuff arnt't I? lol.

I'll set a reminder on my phone to get some pics tonight. Forgot again.

Could you advise what order this should be done in, It appears from your post to Polish before using the G3? And one of your links shows multiple products!

Thanks

Reading about the items it would appear first to use the Autogylm stuff before the polish, so what about the G3? G3 First, then Autogylm then polish?

Looking at ordering the 500ml G3 and the pads now. How many for a corsa I wonder.

Found images on google which show identical (but worse state a bit) of the issue Im having with mine. http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313211

·
Registered
931 Posts
You polish last mate, first wash, then clay, then g3 then polish :) just to clarify, the autoglym is the clay that I'm talking about :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Brill thanks. Went from not owning a car, to my first a few weeks ago. Lots to learn it seems even with regards to cleaning the damn thing.

Reason for post anyhow! Images of the paint - Not easy to show in natural light and a shit phone camera.

Side Door fade

Side door fade (closer) but doesn't look as bad.

Faded/Cloudy bonnet

Roof black spots near rack slot

Faded/cloudy arch.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to garage last night and the roof panel is hugely more faded then anywhere else under the artificial light. Its very cloudy and faded up the lines of other panels however they is a huge gap in wear, I wouldve thought sun baked paint would be gradual however it is not. The top of the boot is in much better condition. Makes them look almost like odd parts but It cant be. This normal?

Payday tommorow so can get some orders in finally on the products and make a start.

Probs do panel at a time

·
Registered
931 Posts
The boot may have had a respray at some point? Older Corsa's and Corsa's in certain colours do not have laquer on the paint, hence the fading, if a bodyshop was to respray a panel then they would either use a laquer or laquer based paint, hence the lack of fading.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The boot may have been replaced - As badge doesnt match up. However the bit at the very top (which is seperate from boot AND the roof panel) isnt as faded. Its a bit weird. The boot is barely faded as is the sides (during sunlight) however roof/bonnet comes up really bad in fake light and the side doors look odd a little in fake light. Just seems a bit weird. Either way. Its more noticeable during the night (street light) so would I just work on a panel at a time and wait until night until it matches up?

Or over-worrying as when its sorted - its sorted. ?

You know how you linked to products online? Im hoping to pick them up saturday morning. Halfords sell the stuff you think ?

·
Registered
931 Posts
That top part is part of the boot, so if it was off a non faded car then that will answer your question :) on the polishing front , do it all and it all will look a lot better! :)

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
When using the g3, always test on a small area first to see how the results are. Nothing worse than diving straight in and it not being right.

Reactions: Ash

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah but its probably going to take more than a few hours to do every stage correct?

Was going to do panel at a time so I can keep tabs where I am, but eventually do the full car. as a means to be able to match it. ?

Going to get a machine polisher also probably!

Will use the G3 on small area first then, I got a lot of swirling scratches already so will take care and try remove them.

Ordered the G3, The autoglym detailer kit, some towels and pads. Will be here tommorow. What would you recommend for Polish/Wax and cleaning? Was just gonna run it though car wash but I doubt thats the best option!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Probably should have mentioned what Lee put! It says on the bottle too :) have a look at THIS link for how to wash, the 2 bucket method reduces the damage to the paint work :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
57 Posts
when you polish it with the machine polisher using g3 make sure you soak the panel first and be careful of swage lines and edges as you will burn through your paint,personally after using G3 i would use G10 then think about using a final polish and wax. im not too clued up with autoglym as i only used it a few times in the body shop all we used was G3 then G10 and sometimes t-cut and that was fine

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Grafting away with the G3 using polisher and waffle pads ... When do I stop ?..it adds a shine and I think it's helping the colour. Can still see scratches but it's nicer. Going to do a run across whole car and see how it looks tonight and if it appears to still look dull ill do another run. Sound ok plan wise? The touch up marks won't hide and some tiny ones are not even the right colour :/ will come back to them. Only bonnet ones noticeable. Might end up doing more to that later
EDIT; Updated pics -

Got tired and stuck it in a GOLD car wash for the full beans wash after the G3. Like above I'll check it in artificial light where I'll easily be able to see if the colour has recovered enough. So far its certainly nicer, less scratched its just a shame it was touched up with the wrong colour in some places and the wing has cloudy looking marks on. Still work to do, but thanks so much for the help!

Image from other day.

After Manual clean, Clay, G3 and usually lame auto-car wash.

The roof [after G3]

The wing [after G3]

Can see the line down the centre of bonnet now. However wing shows a bit of "cloudiness" and doors still look a weaker shade of blue.

More G3 or polish time?

They are not very good to compare, but when sun goes down I'll take some more of the same areas as before.

EDIT2: Added night image, appears to still be faded looking in artificial light. Anything I can do? Still needs a proper polish/wax I assume and maybe some more G3 work? Not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well given up for the day as its cold and windy and got house to sort.

Having doubts I'll get the colours to match, they look so close but not the same but with it been more noticeable at night it must be do-able and be something to do with the wear/fade right?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts