All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this could be a silly question but I'm not great with knowledge on cars so bare with me. I drive a corsa C 01 plate and have just ticked over 100k miles and am concerned about wanting to maintain the quality of my car. I don't know if it is chain driven, or belt driven and wondered if anyone could give me any hints?

As I say, may be a silly question, but my knowledge is limited and different forums say different things.

Also, my car does not like going over 3000 rpm. It will judder as if I am in the wrong gear, however should definitely be able to handle much more than this. I have recently had a new air flow sensor fitted, and the problem only seems to have occurred since then. However the new sensor has fixed a previous problem I had where the car used to rev itself?? Any ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
140 Posts
2001 Corsa 1.2 engine is chain driven, regular good quality oil changes should keep the engine o k, but if its got a noisy rattle it needs changing

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would say it is chain driven.
I look after a 2000 corsa B 1.2 X plate - and it is chain driven. I guess your engine will be basically the same.
I assume by "new air sensor" you mean the MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor = the cylindrical bit that plugs in the air ducting between the air filter box and the throttle body.
This really must be a genuine bosh part. If your "new" sensor was an aftermarket bit off ebay then there is no guarantee it will work correctly.
I had a similar issue. Original MAF (bosh) died. Car would lose power above 3500rpm. Replaced this with a "new" cheapo MAF. Car would now rev upwards all the way - but was a b*tch to start and would barely idle when cold. Throw away cheapo ebay MAF, put proper Bosh one on - car is now reliable and sweet.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi there i cant say for sure, but if its a 3 cylinder its almost certainly a chain, and at idle after a lot of miles they do rattle, have a look on the drivers side of the engine, if it has a chain it prob wont have a removable cover, if it doesn't have a chain it will, if it has, remove cover and have a look, or just prise the cover back a bit up the top and see if you can see a toothed belt, if it has one they should be changed at regular intervals, if they break apart from breaking down they can cause a lot of mechanical damage to the engine..hope this helps...from Fred in Essex.

Hi all, this could be a silly question but I'm not great with knowledge on cars so bare with me. I drive a corsa C 01 plate and have just ticked over 100k miles and am concerned about wanting to maintain the quality of my car. I don't know if it is chain driven, or belt driven and wondered if anyone could give me any hints?

As I say, may be a silly question, but my knowledge is limited and different forums say different things.

Also, my car does not like going over 3000 rpm. It will judder as if I am in the wrong gear, however should definitely be able to handle much more than this. I have recently had a new air flow sensor fitted, and the problem only seems to have occurred since then. However the new sensor has fixed a previous problem I had where the car used to rev itself?? Any ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts