All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a corsa d 1.2 easytronic and there is a little bit of problem when i was going to stop it just cuts out and very low revs and hardly kicks into life when you turn the ignition on its a 56 plate but its only 17000 milage and i got it from evans halshaw so it hasnt been ragged :S i just dont know what it is .... some people said it might be the idle control valve or the throtthle body needs cleaning but im not sure can anyone help please
thank you

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
No - some have an ICV others use the ECU to directly control the throttle body to control idle speed. At 17k it ought not to be clogged up but worth checking.

When did you buy it? If there's a warranty on it I'd be letting the dealer sort it out.

You don't mention any sign of the engine management light coming on - check it operates when the ignition is turned on and goes off when the engine fire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeh the engine light comes on and then when you fire goes off after it just loses power again and yeh im taking it back to evans halshaw tomorow but mechanics these days are uselesss they just plug it in the machine and reset the codes and think that will fix it :S

·
Banned
139 Posts
mechanics these days are uselesss they just plug it in the machine and reset the codes and think that will fix it :S
Thats not true mechanics in dealers have to do what is protocall from experiance I'v had cars come in and knowing what was wrong with it but wasnt allowed to because there was error codes so boss said no, its not the mechanics its the person who runs the dealership which in most cases doesant know what a spanner is

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry i didnt mean it like that i just dont understand how they think reseting codes is the result to everything :S

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Because sometimes it works.

If it doesn't then you look for a reason - which may be obvious, but not always.

The problem with modern engine diagnostics is that when you see enough of them you find that each engine has its more frequent issues, so you check those first, if that doesn't work you go onto the next most likely cause.

In overall terms of time and the cost of time it works out more cost effective in the long run. But there will be times when the guy doing the job will check all the usual most likely issues and then find it was none of them and this time it's something uncommon. So he gets criticised for it.

The problem is that thorough diagnostics takes time and customers don't want to pay the bill for time - so garages have to try to mend things the quickest way.

The downside of that is that some dealerships employ technicians rather than mechanics. That works well when 90% of the time they follow the usual procedures which identify the common problems. When they get the one odd one then they're stuck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked the car up today yeh it was the egr valve they said they cleaned it its should be fine now but if it hpens again its good too replace it but its 167 pound ? Are they really that expensive plus is it just the valve or the full throttle body ?

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
EGR valve isn't on the throttle body - it shouldn't be clogged up after only 17k. Mine's done 120+k and never needed cleaning.

See how it goes, a clogged EGR ought to thrown a code which yours doesn't seem to have done - so whoever sorted it didn't just go off the electronics.

If it carries on doing it either replace it or blank it off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay i will replace it definitely if it happens next time, plus the cars engine bay is a bit dirty theres dog hairs around a bit maybe that got clogged up im not sure :S but i will definitely get it replaced if it hapens again and thanks for the help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts