All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

dont know if this is as stupid as it sounds! The garage have told me that the head gaskets blown on my 2007 Corsa, £350 for the replacement and skim and oil change (timing chain and water pump were replaced in August 2013), question is the mechanic told me that its fine to drive for the time being until I decide what I want to do as it cant get any worse that it is now.

Does this sound right or should this car sit until repaired?

Symptoms are:

# Oil in the coolant
# coolant in the oil - gunk under oil filler cap etc
# no hot air from blowers just stone cold

Initially the car was losing coolant (completley empty) so the garage tested and said no external leak - but no oil in car either - filled oil, filled coolant and added K Seal. then above symptoms showed within a day.

Any advice appreciated. 2007, Corsa Design, 1.2 16v, 55000 miles

Thanks

·
Banned
147 Posts
I wouldnt run it. Do you really want a car Lubricated and cooled by Mayonnaise?
Hell man that could be bad (excuse pun).

Sorry to say it,but if the car has already been run without coolant and oil it may be a close call between head gasket and replacement engine. Maybe this was what the mechanic meant.:(

Edit. I agree with vaux in the next post. He has been reckless at your expense. Would he also send you off with no brakes saying they wont get any worse?

·
Banned
140 Posts
head gasket

If you have water getting into the oil, the engine will soon be running on neat water and then you will want a new engine, I wouldn't run it till the work was done, as for the mechanic saying its ok to run it find another garage and have it checked out again, he is a waste of space and should not be repairing cars

·
Banned
885 Posts
Is the garage used to repairing Vauxhall's?
The symptoms that you describe, COULD indicate a failed head gasket on the majority of cars, BUT on your model, it could also indicate a coolant (water) pump gasket failure.
In either case, the above advice holds good, i.e. don't drive it 'till it is fixed.
A compression pressure test may show if the head gasket has failed.
At this time of year, 'mayo' under the oil filler cap is generally down to condensation.

Regards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts