All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Currently having a an issue with my indicators on my Corsa, the right side (front rear and side) all work fine, but the entire left side is fault. They don't flash/light, although once every 15-30 seconds they will flash. Same issue if I switch on the hazard. When indicating left, the dashboard light flashes and clicks really fast, but when hazards are on, the flash/click is normal (same as right). I've read that it shouldn't be the relay, as both would stop working if it was that(?) Any ideas please, hoping its something simple

Thanks

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi there, well a little insights to how they work, i assume this is a C or D, the actual bit that does the flashing is built into the BCM, so when you turn the switch on the BCM does the flashing, that operates a duel relay in the plastic box in front of the battery, or on some vehicles you have two separate relays, one for each side, under the steering column/dash.

What you want to do is turn the side on that works and listen to where the ticking noise is coming from, under bonnet or under dash....the problem is most probably the relay....there are a series of tests you can do to find out....depends how good you are at electrics...if its a duel relay under the bonnet they are the most troublesome....i would say if its same on hazard and indicator it s not the switches or the BCM......from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Fred, thanks for the reply.

It is a Corsa C, firstly, I've changed the bulbs in front and rear today, same problem - although, after reinstalling the back light fitting, they worked again for about 1 minute, working in synch with the right hand side, then they went out and problem went back to as previously stated in the first post.

The noise, sounds like its coming from dashboard. Not "good" at electrics to be honest. Not sure what kind of relay it is yet, haven't dismantled to get to that compartment yet, was hoping swapping the bulbs would fix the error.

Here is a short clip of whats happened atm, youtu.be/H3UOKlMvJas
While the clicking/light(on dashboard) are going fast, no lights on the left side light up. Every now and then, very rarely and seems to be random, no sort of pattern, the ticking slows down to the same speed as the right and the lights will flash during that time. With the hazards on, both L/R lights on dashboard flash at same speed, but only the right side bulbs work.. If that makes any sense.

I've taken the back left light fixture out twice now, and removed the bulb and put it back in, and each time the indicators work fine for about a minute or two, then after that, goes back to being broke.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi there....well if the clicking is coming from under the dash i would think if you take the switch cowling off or get to where the ticking is coming from, i believe you should see two relays, they might be yellow...i suspect one of them isnt working, you could change them over...think you have one for each side...if you pull the relays out and connect 30 to 87 the lamps should come on and stay on....i couldn't get that link to work...hope that helps from Fred.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there....well if the clicking is coming from under the dash i would think if you take the switch cowling off or get to where the ticking is coming from, i believe you should see two relays, they might be yellow...i suspect one of them isnt working, you could change them over...think you have one for each side...if you pull the relays out and connect 30 to 87 the lamps should come on and stay on....i couldn't get that link to work...hope that helps from Fred.
Based on guides for similar models, I think the relays are under the bonnet sort of above the glove compartment, I'll try get in there tomorrow and swap them around see if it changes.

As for the video - I couldn't link it probably as I have low post count, so had to take the www[dot] out of it.

What do you mean by connect 30 to 87?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi i think if the clicking is under the dash its unlikely the relays are under the bonnet...well there are 4 wires on the relays, 30 is live and 87 goes to the lamps, so if you remove the relay and join those two terminals together the lamps should come on and just stay on...if the clicking is from under the bonnet the relay will be in front of the battery in the square plastic box, held down with torq screws....and that type of relay is larger, yellow, and has about 8 terminals....Fred.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Fred,

Got into the relay box, it was next to the battery, unfortunately thought it was a big yellow one so couldn't swap left and right over to test. Clean the contacts a little, but no change. As it is a double relay, is it possible that its only fault for the one side - or would both sides go at time?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi there, no one side can go at a time, i would put a picture or two on here but i cant on this website, if you want to send me an email i can help you a bit easier...my email is [email protected], but the relay is a double relay, one bit for each side....if one side works its almost certainly a faulty relay...you can do series of tests but you have to know what your doing....from Fred.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help Fred, was the relay like you said - had to buy a new one and just installed it now and everything seems to be back to normal. Thanks a lot :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts