All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought my first car, (a 2001 corsa comfort 1.2), however I noticed that the water was disappearing very quickly. I had to top it up at least once a week. I took it to a garage to find and fix the source of the leak. They said if needed a new water pump, so I got the work done. Then I noticed that the water was being lost even quicker than before! On one occasion, I topped up a whole litre of water in a day. It was just disappearing!

So I took the car back to the garage (for something different), but did mention to them that the water is still being lost. They then told me that there was water being mixed with the oil (which was not a problem before), but now the dipstick is full of a watery light brown mixture that is at a very high level. The water is still being lost very quickly.

I really need some help and would welcome any suggestions as to what is causing this problem. The garage has suggested that I replace the timing chain gasket and that this may sort the problem. However if this still doesnt work, I dont what Im going to do!

Does anyone know where the water may be disappearing to? (I have not noticed any puddles or wet patches on the ground when the car has been parked). The car starts and drives fine, its just the water is vanishing.

I hope I have explained myself well enough and look forward to any advice I can get!

Thanks, S

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi,

I recently bought my first car, (a 2001 corsa comfort 1.2), however I noticed that the water was disappearing very quickly. I had to top it up at least once a week. I took it to a garage to find and fix the source of the leak. They said if needed a new water pump, so I got the work done. Then I noticed that the water was being lost even quicker than before! On one occasion, I topped up a whole litre of water in a day. It was just disappearing!

So I took the car back to the garage (for something different), but did mention to them that the water is still being lost. They then told me that there was water being mixed with the oil (which was not a problem before), but now the dipstick is full of a watery light brown mixture that is at a very high level. The water is still being lost very quickly.

I really need some help and would welcome any suggestions as to what is causing this problem. The garage has suggested that I replace the timing chain gasket and that this may sort the problem. However if this still doesnt work, I dont what Im going to do!

Does anyone know where the water may be disappearing to? (I have not noticed any puddles or wet patches on the ground when the car has been parked). The car starts and drives fine, its just the water is vanishing.

I hope I have explained myself well enough and look forward to any advice I can get!

Thanks, S
Other than that, check if the coolant is leaking, is there coolant puddle underneath the engine compartment?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can tell you from experience that the timing chain gasket is a weak point on that engine, i changed mine recently and the old one looked like it had been chewed by a dog, coolant was definitely getting into the oil that way. It would be cheaper doing that than the head gasket if it fixes the problem but it's a gamble, it may turn out to be the head gasket that's gone. Unfortunately you won't know for certain until the car is taken apart.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I too from experience can support gaz1307 in his view on the timing chain gasket as the likely problem. This also supported by the fact that your water loss got worse after the water pump change as the awter pump bolts through the timing chain cover and gasket to the side of the block and the pump change probably disturbed the gasket even more.

Get it done sooner rather than later. Water in the oil is generelly not good for prolonged engine llife.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Long shot I know, but worth trying some Kseal (it's an additive to stop water leaks.) If that doesn't work, nothing will, it's worked on mine and my daughter's Corsa when all else failed :thumbs_up:
It's expensive to buy, will cost about £10, but worth a go?
Good luck, Dave.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Suggest that you remove the spark plugs, keep them in order as removed and examine the 'business' end for signs of water contamination; while they are out, it would pay to carry out a compression test, if one (or more) compressions are different to the others compare the 'odd' reading with any plug showing signs of water contamination. This may indicate a failed head gasket, which can also give similar symptoms to what you describe, but if the timing chain gasket, this will NOT contaminate the plugs or affect compression pressures, so at least you would know which part of the engine required attention.

Regards.

Edit: Welcome to the Forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.