All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I've got a problem with my Corsa - it's a 1.4i, 8 valve motor.
The problem is that it is revving high.

We've cleaned the Idle Control Valve and the Throttle Body with Carb cleaner, I've also lubricated the petrol cable, this appears to have worked for 2 days, but now its gone back to it's revving ways.

When I start my car, it appears to be fine, but after 2 minutes it revs to about 2000rpm. When I stop at the robot, the "Check engine Light" illuminates.

*Another thing, I snap clutch cables every 3 months. I drive +/- 1500km a month. Any ideas?

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
420 Posts
Since you get a CEL, check the codes. You can do the paperclip test on your car--> http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

*Another thing, I snap clutch cables every 3 months. I drive +/- 1500km a month. Any ideas?
If your clutch cable doesn't last at least 150,000km (most last the life of the car), then something is definitely wrong.

First possibility the cable is scraping or kinking against something and abrades/fatigues through (usually this would be approximately the same place on every failed cable.)

Second possibility is just fatigue stretch from too much tension every time you push the clutch petal. If your car takes more effort to actuate the clutch than on other Corsa Bs, then its worth taking a closer look at where the extra effort is coming from, i.e., gearbox lever arm or binding somewhere else.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gb33.

I've not done the paperclip test yet but i disconnected my battery for +/-8 hrs at work to reset the ECU. If the problem persists, I'll do the test.

The clutch cables snap in different places, the first 2 snapped on the gearbox lever arm, then other 3 snapped on the clutch pedal. I don't buy genuine clutch cables, because they're ridiculously overpriced (R600 vs R80 (South African Rand)).
Do you know if a Kadett Superboss clutch cable will fit? I hear they're more resilient.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts