All Corsa Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I own a 2001 Corsa club. I'm not really sure how to explain my issue but here it goes..

My corsa will not come to stop when in gear unless I press the brake. It will slow down gradually but when it comes to stall it just starts to speed up and begins to drive itself. I owned a 1999 corsa envoy and had the same problem.

I'm a noob with cars so don't have a clue what may be causing it. The car has been serviced every year and has had the timing belt changed two years ago.

Hopefully I have explained the issue clear enough.

Thanks in advanced.

Joe

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
is it an automatic by any chance... as i cant see a manual doing this the car disengages from drive when the clutch is depressed and when the gear selctor is taken out of the gear clutch released it shouldnt move

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Hi, I own a 2001 Corsa club. I'm not really sure how to explain my issue but here it goes..

My corsa will not come to stop when in gear unless I press the brake. It will slow down gradually but when it comes to stall it just starts to speed up and begins to drive itself. I owned a 1999 corsa envoy and had the same problem.

I'm a noob with cars so don't have a clue what may be causing it. The car has been serviced every year and has had the timing belt changed two years ago.

Hopefully I have explained the issue clear enough.

Thanks in advanced.

Joe
That's normal. The ECU is designed to keep the engine at a certain minimum rpm - so if you slow down with car still in gear once it reaches that minimum rpm the throttle will be opened and the car will continue to drive.

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
Herbys changed shells!

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Same happens with mine

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
Same happens with mine
yeah but lets face it, your car has a mind of its own anyway lol, sometimes it wants to work sometimes it dont :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a Manual. Obviously I know that if I want to come to a complete stop I should put my clutch in, however I'm just curious as to why I can't come to a rolling stop without putting my clutch in, the car will just speed back up.

Thanks

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
no car can come to a rolling stop when in gear? it will either stall or pick back up? how long have you been driving??

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Sounds like your brakes are absolutely knackered if they can't overpower an idling engine!

But as has been said, as the car slows down the engine rpm will get lower and lower until it is at idle speed. At that point, the engine will keep turning at idle speed, thus keeping the car moving so long as the clutch isn't pressed. If you then press the brake but not the clutch, the engine will stall. Perhaps you should ask your driving instructor.

When I read the thread title I thought maybe you'd accidentally bought a Toyota

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like your brakes are absolutely knackered if they can't overpower an idling engine!

But as has been said, as the car slows down the engine rpm will get lower and lower until it is at idle speed. At that point, the engine will keep turning at idle speed, thus keeping the car moving so long as the clutch isn't pressed. If you then press the brake but not the clutch, the engine will stall. Perhaps you should ask your driving instructor.

When I read the thread title I thought maybe you'd accidentally bought a Toyota
Thank you for clearing that up for me.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
If you drove an automatic you wouldnt have that problem.
If you want a rolling stop, depress the clutch fully and gently apply the brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
ahh yes,the fault caused by aftermarket floormats, and a part made by an outside company.... which toyota itself proved had happened in 2 of the incidents. the rest caused by aftermarket mats. dont believe the press....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.