All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought an 05 Corsa SRi 1.8 16v and it has been lowered by the previous owner. He said it has got coilovers and the shocks have been upgraded and are slightly harder which you can notice as it has quite a hard ride. From what I can see it looks as if the front has coil overs and the back has just springs but I'm not sure how much it is lowered by.
Anyway my problem is whenever I got over even a small pothole something bangs really loud on the front wheel and it sounds damaging. I'm not sure if its the car hitting the ground which seems unlikely as its not that low, if its the tyre hitting the wheel arch or if something is wrong with the shocks? I measured from the floor to the bottom of the wheel arch (bit hanging over tyre) and it was 540mm, the back was also 540mm. I haven't notaced any bangs on the rear wheels. I think Sri's are 15mm lower than the normal as well as me having very low profile tyres.
What is going on? How much do you think it has been lowered? any suggestions would be great.

Rear Wheel

Coilovers on front

Rear - is this just springs not coil overs?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
684 Posts
You could check the inner arch lining as it will show scuff marks if the wheel has been hitting it. And take the wheel off and check every bolt is nice and tight on just suspension/brake components

·
Registered
590 Posts
As stated check the bolts, My main concern would be the bolts in the engine bay where the suspension comes in. I know it might be hard to do but maybe try and get a sound clip of it? If it was wheels hitting the fenders you'd see damage so I wouldn't worry about that to much, as well as if anything was hitting the tire you'd see scrapes on the rubber itself.

Once again check the bolts, could be as simple as that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers, I will have a look at some of those suggestions but when i say a bang it's not just a little noise it's a huge smack that is definitely doing damage made the radio turn off yesterday!

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Or buy a better brand
Shocks and springs.

It's bound to bang, it's a hole in the road

·
Registered
590 Posts
shocks could be bad, but as vegas said, it is a hole in the road, its bound to make noise. i'd just check all the bolts and as long as everything is tight and there is no damage anywhere on the car or tire then honestly i'd just get use to it and avoid potholes :/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.