All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have recently purchased a corsa 1.2 sxi 2006, only done 47000 miles, lately when I go to start the car it starts up then seems to be struggling then turns off, after turning it on and back off 2-3times it works or if i rev it a gd few times it helps and it works fine, I also noticed when I came to roundabouts and I put the clutch in and break it seems to loose power,
Iv had new plugs and also a new gasket, any idea what this problem is? Really confused! :confused::confused:

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
It would help to know which gasket was replaced.

Also, when did it last have a full service - don't assume that a service before you bought it meant a full service, often they just do an oil change and top up the fluids.

If all the basic service items are good then the usual thing to check on those is the engine breather system and the how mucky the throttle body is. If it's been used for lots of short journeys and the breathers are dirty then this will get dumped into the throttle body which then gets sticky. This can lead to the problems you describe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had head gasket done, and full service was in January this year, do u think I should take out another full service? Or does something need to be replaced such as battery or crankshaft etc. reading old forums and noticed many others have had same problems, just worried incase this seems like a ECU problem? Or can I rule that out ?:confused::shocked:

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
There's no point changing bits at random unless you have reason to think they are faulty. If it's starting OK then the battery ought to be good. It doesn't sound like typical crankshaft sensor issues. Usually they either don't fire at all or they'll fire, run fine for 15-20 minutes, then cut out and refuse to fire until it's cooled off a bit.

Check if the engine management light (EML) is coming on when you turn the ignition on, and goes off when the engine fires - to make sure it's operating properly. Then - does the EML come on at all when the car loses power?

Since the idle on these is controlled by the ECU working the throttle body I'd check that first, see what it looks like, and also check the EGR valve (if that is sticking it can cause the issues you're having.) Either way - knowing if the EML is lighting and checking for codes is always worth doing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help, just took it for a drive no lights came on, and didn't stall. But when I parked up at home left it running, I noticed the engine sounded inconsistent and my digital clock slightly dimmed every time it stuttered, I then checked outside smelt abit like burning then seconds later my engine fans went on, :confused: is this electric fault? Iv booked it into a diagnostic for £20 just incase, if no electric fault what else could it be? New engine? Or?
Sorry to be a pain! :shocked:

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
How long did you leave it running for before the engine rpm dipped and the fans came on? The clock dimming is just the rpm dipping and the load of the fans kicking in - they use a hefty amount of amps when they first start.

The annoying thing is that there's a lot we could check very quickly just by seeing the car - so over a forum it's down to asking loads of questions.

Since you had the HG done I assume the oil & coolant levels have been OK? It might be worth asking the garage that did the work to check it over. Sometimes on those the timing can slip very slightly after this kind of work. As said - there are so many things that can cause these kind of issues - they just have to be worked through logically. Providing the HG repair was done OK then at 47k the engine should be good for many more miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.