All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this is the correct place to post, but here we go...

Purchased Brand new Corsa Breeze Plus, 2008 currently only 13000 miles, had problems from start.

1st Gear box sounded crunchy, sent back to garage and they said gear box needed leveling... They fixed it...

2nd Air conditioning stopped working, sent back and they said faulty motor, problem fixed..

3rd Just over 300 miles after first service a mate noticed the tread on the outside of passenger front wheel was severely worn, sent back to garage and they said tracking at cost of £30, then to make matters worse said needed 2 new tyres.... How come none of this noticed on service....?

There has been a slight knocking sound from rear of car when driving up to around 30mph, seems to knock when going over small pot holes or when the car is changing direction. You can hear the knock just once when you first start the car and turn the steering wheel when stationary. Been back to garage and had one of their engineers sit with me while i drove round the block, he said he could hear the noise and could be the suspension, left car at garage full day and this particular mechanic said he would be involved in the finding the repair....

Picked up car and service manager said they had used an electronic noise detection system and couldn't find fault... eh...! They had greased suspension bits, doors and checked everything...

Got in car and sure enough the noise was still there....

What do I do.. ?

This noise is driving me crazy and no one at the garage thinks it's a problem, but when you hear it several times on a short journey and passengers notice it too, what can I do ?

Getting a little frustrated that the garage first didn't notice the bald tyre at service also that the car has been back to garage 5 times in the first year...!

Is this supposed to happen with a new car ?

Any help please...

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Electronic noise detection system!! Yeeees - of course they did.

To be honest it sounds like you need to try a different dealer. Some are useless, some are brilliant.

Noises in cars can be notoriously difficult to track down. Even when sounds seem to come from one area they are often caused by something elsewhere. If you are struggling to track it down it's pretty well impossible for anyone who hasn't actually seen the car to figure it out for definite.

In the past, when I've had similar problems, I've had to empty the car of everything I can. Empty the boot, take out the boot liner and parcel shelf, remove the spare wheel. Empty the glove box, door pockets - the lot. Make sure there is nothing lying around that could make noise. By taking stuff out you will eliminate things that might mask the noise.

You say it does it before moving off - does it happen when you start the engine, or just when you move the steering? Try putting a couple of old magazines uder your front wheels (to allow them to turn without wrecking the tyres) and turn the steering full lock to full lock - see if that produces the knock.

Get hold of the exhaust and give it good shake - with someone sat in the car listening.

Does it make any difference how many people are in the car? Suspension issues nearly always vary according to load.

If you can jack the car up, at the rear first, and with it supported on axle stands take hold of the wheels top and bottom and check for play.

Check that the door hinges are greased, and the door restraining straps. They can knock if they are dry as the bodyshell flexes. Check also the tailgate hinges and the rubber adjustments on the tailgate closure - if they are out then the tailgate will be loose.

Just a few ideas.

It's of little comfort - but it looks like you are not the only one to have this problem http://www.ukcorsa-d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3143

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, cheers for your reply.

Am I allowed to take the car to another dealer, ie; will they honor the warranty..?

Checked the exhaust as you said, I thought that too, but alas, not what's making the noise.

A while back I did empty the car of everything I could, even the liner for spare, still got the noise.

When you first sit in the car and turn on the engine, not moving at all, and turn the steering wheel just a fraction, you can hear the same knock, only once though, you can duplicate it but you have to turn off the ignition and wait a few mins, otherwise no mater how far or how often after the first initial knock sound you can not do it again until a few minutes with ignition off.

I have had the car on a freinds ramp at his garage and even he couldn't tell me what the noise was, just a list of suggestions as to what it could be..

What really got me angry was the fact that the mechanic at the dealer garage said he could hear the noise and there certainly was a problem and that he would check the car personally...

Also after only two months after the car was serviced and only 370 miles later was when we noticed the front tyre was bald at the edges, why didn't this come up in the service ? Surely they could see the tyre ? Again my friend at his garage said that either the tyre was fine and I had been driving like a loonatic since the service of they should have noticed it...!

Thanks for your reply taurus, guess I should keep on at the dealers otherwise who else can I turn to...?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
To answer your question, yes you can take the car to any vauxhall dealership as the warranty is with vauxhall not that particular dealer. I dont use my local one as its a load of rubbish so go to the one a mate is head mechanic at as wouldnt ever trust the local dealer with my car.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I agree with above the first dealer has told you a complete lie. How the hell does an electronic noise dection system work? Out of all the dealers excuses I have ever heared this one takes the biscuit.

Find a proper dealer which won't fob you off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts