All Corsa Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, any help please.
My Corsa SRi irmscher. I noticed a rattle coming from the bottom part of the engine so doing the girlie thing I took it in to Vauxhall network Q. To my horror I was told that the bolt going in to the crank that holds the flywheel on had snapped and I need a new complete engine? The car has only completed 51000 miles. Their estimate to carry out the work is over £2000.00. any of you guys got any pointers or ideas for me please????????????????????

·
Registered
497 Posts
So they think you need a new engine because a bolt has snapped? Sounds a bit extreme to me :confused: I don't know but surely its a case of fixing it back together with a new bolt?

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
what a joke. take the old flywheel off, get the snapped end out an bolt a new fly wheel back on.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Hi all, any help please.
My Corsa SRi irmscher. I noticed a rattle coming from the bottom part of the engine so doing the girlie thing I took it in to Vauxhall network Q. To my horror I was told that the bolt going in to the crank that holds the flywheel on had snapped and I need a new complete engine? The car has only completed 51000 miles. Their estimate to carry out the work is over £2000.00. any of you guys got any pointers or ideas for me please????????????????????
They're probably trying to fob you off cos you're a woman. I know what it's like. You don't need a new engine.

·
Registered
408 Posts
oportunity to get a lightened an balanced flywheel me thinks:D Personally i think it would be just as easy to put a new engine in it. But thats just me as id do it myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for ur help

Hi this is the situation, I have been told by a second opinion that there is damage to the end of the crank, caused by "chatter from the fly wheel". In short the end of the crank is damaged beyond repair. (The key way is damaged.) The mechanic told me that the bolt can be drilled out but it would be a big bodge to get the fly wheel safely secured and the down side if there were a failure is that the pistons will say hello to the valves.
Also have been told that possible cause of the bolt sheering is because when the cam belt was changed the new one was not tensioned properly?
One thing I am sure of is the car is never going to net work Q ever again.
Marque Car Racing of Thurmaston (Leicester) is now doing the work. (new engine) I will let you all know the out come.
I hope to meet you that have advised me at a Corsa meet some time.
Ellie……………… :)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Yeah as Dearing said www.photobucket.com is your best bet, you can upload to there from your pc and the post the links in your posts :thumbs_up:

shame the second opinion wasn't more in your favour :( Are they charging you as much as you've already been quoted?

·
Registered
33 Posts
ye def ********, you can pick up replacement ultra-light fly wheels so cant see you having change an entire engine for it

·
Registered
224 Posts
ellie

what engine are you putting in a direct replacement or bigger, please post how much it costs when its done darling.

cheers:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"shame the second opinion wasn't more in your favour :( Are they charging you as much as you've already been quoted?[/QUOTE]"

the charge from network Q was £2500+. had a phone call to day saying the car is ready and with a new clutch £1738.00.
big difference lol. but it still hurts :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts