All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering what people have with credit cards nowadays. I'm 20 and i'm looking to get a credit card now, I've been working as an IT engineer for around 2 years now so I'm looking to get a credit card with a small limit only for times when I have big payments coming up (like this month for example I have a £300 MOT coming up) and I don't want to rely on my parents forever when I need to make big payments. I also want one for some credit rating as I know even just having one makes your CR go up, this will be good for when I get my loan next year, which should hopefully ( with paying it off successfully) will get my CR up nicely for when I'm looking at mortgages later on in life.

What kind of credit cards do you guys have, and what rates on them?
(I know alot of people despise CC's because obviously you can outrageously spend on them but I do consider myself quite controlled when it comes to spending money. I suppose the main reason I want one is for the CR)

Tom

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Use them Sensibly they're great, can save you money and boost ratings.
Not sensible, you can get into alot of trouble.

I recently used Tesco, 0% on purchases for 16 months. With free balance transfer.

Get clubcard points too when buying things, which can be used on loads of stuff from
Holidays to money off in store.

Check out their website for details

Reactions: Lee and binfieldx

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use them Sensibly they're great, can save you money and boost ratings.
Not sensible, you can get into alot of trouble.

I recently used Tesco, 0% on purchases for 16 months. With free balance transfer.

Get clubcard points too when buying things, which can be used on loads of stuff from
Holidays to money off in store.

Check out their website for details
I heard tesco were quite good, I'll check them out now

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I got one with Capital One when I first left home to get my credit rating up.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Capital one are very forgiving credit wise, and will offer cards to people when other lenders won't.
Of course you pay a slightly higher rate, but you can work your way up to bigger limit and better card etc

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Capital one are very forgiving credit wise, and will offer cards to people when other lenders won't.
Of course you pay a slightly higher rate, but you can work your way up to bigger limit and better card etc
Exactly this. I now get letters from most major lenders re: swapping over.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I've got one from Natwest. Its a student one, and Even though I graduated last year I'm still getting 2 months interest free on purchases.
I wasn't too sensible with it in Uni, but since then I've just used it for big stuff that I want to spread over a few paydays.
I just bought a new bed on it today and will pay off £50 a week for 8 weeks, so won't pay any interest.
I ended up using it too much in Uni though, was constantly near the limit and kept just paying off not much more than the minimum.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Go in there with a set limit in your head, and don't give in when they try and make you have a higher limit...
They tried to encourage me with one, with ££££s limit on it... I think they TRY to get people in dept.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Go in there with a set limit in your head, and don't give in when they try and make you have a higher limit...
They tried to encourage me with one, with ££££s limit on it... I think they TRY to get people in dept.
They dont try at all. You get in debt of your own accord. No one forces you to spend money on the card.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Yeah it's all one big conspiracy,

It's not governed by the FSA, and based on a 3rd party doing a credit check, and a table of ongoing and outgoings and they never say no when people ask for them either..

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just thought it was frustrating when I went in to transfer some cash and I was bombarded with questions, do you have a credit card? No. Do you want one? No. You can have £3000 limit? No. Are you sure? we have some really good rates? No.

I havn't got a credit card, I might do in the future. But your right, it is your responsibility. But also, they shouldn't be handing out credit cards like there sweets to retards.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Was thinking about Credit Cards recently. I'm thinking of just putting my fuel on it, and big Internet transactions (paid off straight away, just to cover me). Mainly as I want to build up my credit score :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Mainly as I would spend between £100-£300 per month on fuel (depending on car and where I have to go) it may work quite well :)

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
The person saying that though wouldn't "want to get you in debt" as the debt would be with the bank anyway. Probably just being pushed for sales like most places

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Exactly what I do with fuel, and only fuel each month

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was thinking about Credit Cards recently. I'm thinking of just putting my fuel on it, and big Internet transactions (paid off straight away, just to cover me). Mainly as I want to build up my credit score :)
This is what I was going to do. That and my motorbike CBT + helmet.

Anyway decided to get the card with tesco, arriving in 5-6 days :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts