All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Basically i bought a car. warped it's head. realised water in pistons when i heard crunching sound.

Just done recon head/gasket/ new water pump/timing belt..Basically i put blood sweat and punches into this thing. Now it starts but before it does there is a terrible grinding noise before it fires up. Almost like Flywheel/Starter motor has lost some teeth?

Any suggestions before it goes to the car graveyard like the rest of the abused victims.

1.2 8v

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a good video but it's the crunching noise right before it starts. May need to watch a few times to work it out.

Also Exhaust Manifold is getting hot and steaming and smells of burning and water in the water bottle is ice cold :S

http://s190.photobucket.com/user/hayton2k3/media/VID-20130604-00013.mp4.html

Noise sounds like a tractor but it's actually jamming on something.
Possibly a dead car due to smoking manifold anyway.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Exhaust manifolds often smoke and smell after work on the engine - they get hot as soon as the engine fires due to combustion gases.

I don't like going off video clips because it's not easy to tell for sure - but that sounds like it's worth taking the starter out and inspecting it, or even bench testing it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exhaust manifolds often smoke and smell after work on the engine - they get hot as soon as the engine fires due to combustion gases.

I don't like going off video clips because it's not easy to tell for sure - but that sounds like it's worth taking the starter out and inspecting it, or even bench testing it.
Ok well hopefully i can get to starter. I refuse to spend another bean until i know it's actually going to work.

Any chance of getting to started easier with passenger wheel off? got no ramps and hard getting under as it has skirts on..

You think starting car 2moro and leaving it to run and burn all the stuff off? I know i soaked mani in WD40 but that was almost 10 days ago when i stripped car.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Engines stink after that kind of work - you've just got to let it all burn off - it'll still stick next time though.

Have you got a jack and axle stands? It really needs to be raised to get at the starter.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Course there is, remove gearbox, clutch then attack flywheel.
It's a bit of a pain, I agree. We did same thing on side of road few weeks ago, and that was with an f28 crammed in te bay

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Course there is, remove gearbox, clutch then attack flywheel.
It's a bit of a pain, I agree. We did same thing on side of road few weeks ago, and that was with an f28 crammed in te bay
Yeah but i got no ramps as it has bodykit on and it wont fit on ramps. No way for me to maneuver engine i weigh about 6 1/2 stone lol and weak as hell.
Garage will charge a fortune and i have no job atm just spent all of last work money on car + repairs.

Shame your so far away... lol

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
I didn't have ramps either on the side of the street.. Just a kerb right in the way.

6 and a half stone? No way? Really? That's like one of my legs

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't have ramps either on the side of the street.. Just a kerb right in the way.

6 and a half stone? No way? Really? That's like one of my legs
I mean 8 1/2 lol. Gf keeps moaning cos eating more but losing weight still.

Also just been quoted £110 for it done in garage, Just sent Gf down as the guy repaired my fieldbike but that seems a little cheap to me?

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
£110 is a bargain

Reactions: HAYTON2K3

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.