All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CV joint has split its gaiter on the front o/s. This seems to be a regular occurrence as I've had to have new gaiters put on in the past for it to pass the MOT. Just checking my receipts file and it was the front o/s that had a new CV joint and gaiter fitted only last August. That's less than 12 months and its split chucking moly grease over everything again.

It doesn't have a hard life and has probably only done about 3000 miles since then - should they go that quickly or has it been badly fitted do you think?

·
Banned
885 Posts
If you have paid someone to fit this for you AND they supplied the boot, I would suggest that you take it back to them, as the problem is down to either a 'duff' boot, or to bad fitting.

The cost of having these fitted is greater than the cost of the item, it pays therefor to buy the best quality.

Regards.

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
Have a look to see. If the gaiter has slipped off, then i'd say you have grounds to go back to the garage to query.
If it's ripped then sometimes that's the result of stones or other objects hitting them at speed.

I put a brand new driveshaft onto my Corsa a few years back and the outer gaiter got ripped by a stone after about 2 months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think it was a cheap easy-fit one. I've put a new one on this morning using one of the slide cones to fit it over the CV joint. to be honest I don't expect a long life out of this given the thickness of the rubber.
When I get a decent set of circlip pliers I'll take the CV joint off and fit a proper OEM gaiter.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Do it wrong do it again and again.

Wouls s have thought after moaning about this one breaking fast you'd do the job properly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.