All Corsa Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the badges on the back of my corsa have to go, dont get me wrong i have nothing against Vauxhall but all the chrome is flaking off and really doing me no favours looks-wise.

I read on hear hot water and elbow grease work a treat, but then i read somewhere else that a hairdryer was the best option which ones the best ???

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Heat the badges with a heat gun to soften the glue underneath and

then peel!

You'll be left with double sided industrial sticky tape

(if it didnt come off with the badge), alls u need to do is maby give it abit

more heat and it will peel off really easy.

After the tape has come off there'll a sort of rusty like residue where u've

peeled the tape off, not to worry comes off dead easy with abit of tissue and

some meths/white spirit.

Even better u could use a drill with a toffee wheel for removing tape and

stripes and it even buffs up dulled paint where the badges had been

·
Registered
611 Posts
what is with people using white spirits??? its a paint stripper ffs!!

once you have the badge itself off, use autoglym tar remover. thats what was invented for. either that or heat it as mentioned and use your fingers. NEVER use white spirits!

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
what is with people using white spirits??? its a paint stripper ffs!!

once you have the badge itself off, use autoglym tar remover. thats what was invented for. either that or heat it as mentioned and use your fingers. NEVER use white spirits!
Got to agree - i saw the damage to one of my mates cars couple of years ago when he used white spirit - wasn't a pretty sight :laugh:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I used hot water at first, then just pulled off the badges, and peeled off any glue that was left on.

You will be left with a residue, now heres the problem, i used an old credit card to scrape off the stuff. But you can use autoglym tar remover, or petrol i think works.

Just takes time and lots of elbow grease

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well i didnt use it, just heard that it works, probably best not to use it then LOL

·
Registered
611 Posts
i used a flat-head screwdriver to take the plastic badge off (using my finger as a pivot so there was no contact between screwdriver and paint) and it seemed to take most of the foam with it, then used autoglym tar remover to remove the residue. cant go wrong with the tar remover. screwdriver approach maybe not good idea for clumsy people though :laugh:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
white spirit is only a paint thinner, and will not damage if rinsed off with

water.

and is often used as a cleaning solvent

clicky
clicky

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
White spirit is good for getting tar off your car aswell ive found

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
toffee wheel is best.

:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
That b*llcks, white spirit is fine and does a great job of remove glue residue, i used it on the rear badges and bump strips with no hassle or paint removal.

Id disagree using a heat gun as its very easy to apply too much heat and the paint will bubble, which wont be reversible. I have used loads of methods because my were such a pain in the arse to remove.

What i prefer is apply Hot water to the badge, then get some dental floss underneath the badge and pull it along until the badge comes off. If any glue is still on there i used an old credit card to scrape it off. Then followed by a bit of white spirit on a cloth rubbed across the surface to free up anything left under there, i used the credit card again if anything was on there. Clean the surface then T-cut it, perfect! nothing visible at all with no indication of where the badges were.

If you amazing managed to spill half a gallon of white spirit onto the service then let it dry :rolleyes: Then hard work with the T-cut would get it out. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Seems like excellent advice clutch, may have to try that soon. So with the water how did you apply it to the badges? using a cloth?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.