All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like some people are still a little unsure as to what detailing actually is, so I've decided to start this thread as a Q&A thread!

Ask me anything, and I'll try and answer the best I can!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
either an IPA rub down, or a Tar Remover..... These will remove it with ease...

Also, clay can help remove wax too...

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
what routine would you recommend to a beginner as regards to wash/polish/wax?
what products?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
i class my self as a beginner and i

rinse with hose
wash wheels and use auto glym wheel cleaner and micro fibre wheel brush
rinse
wash full car with snow foam (brands vary)
rinse with jet wash

wash full car using the two bucket method with grit guards in each bucket and using a lambswool mit/mircofibre mit using meguires gold class shampoo

rinse

dry with microfibre drying towel

clay with dodo juice born slippy s lube

wash car again to get rid of clay lube residue

dry off with drying towel again

then wax with dodo juice rainforest rub

if wheels are bad i clay them also

best thing to do is get on detailing world as they go from complete newbies to experts that spend days on the likes of ferraris labos and so on

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
what would be the best way to remove light swirl marks and slight scratches from the paint work without using a machine polisher

cheers daz

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Should clay be rubbed or rolled across the paint work?

And Would a snow foam wash be enough for a quick clean, without getting the buckets out?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Claying all you do is lube up the area and were you are vlaying keep it lubed and rub/slide the clay back and forth

The clay its self removes tar and other contaminets a normal was doesnt clean

Ive cleaned mine before and its looked mint but the clay brings out loads of dirt

As for a snow foam only and clay i think would be ok but i wash also just so the clay dosent get filthy and just gets the niggly bits after

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sorry didnt mean after claying, i ment that if all i wanted was to give the car a quick clean, would the snow foam, then rinse leave the car looking okay?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Claying all you do is lube up the area and were you are vlaying keep it lubed and rub/slide the clay back and forth

The clay its self removes tar and other contaminets a normal was doesnt clean

Ive cleaned mine before and its looked mint but the clay brings out loads of dirt

As for a snow foam only and clay i think would be ok but i wash also just so the clay dosent get filthy and just gets the niggly bits after
Aaaahh cool, might try that soon.. Cheers man :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
give me a moment, and I'll answer all these (had a busy day)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what routine would you recommend to a beginner as regards to wash/polish/wax?
what products?
Well, the routine is as you said... Possibly start by soaking the lower part of the car with some degreaser/all purpose cleaner. Then rinse, followed by a 2 bucket wash with a lambswool mitt.

Rinse the car, and pat it dry with a plush, soft drying towel.

As you say you're a beginner, I'll assume you're polishing by hand. Hand polishing won't really remove anything as you cannot generate the heat, or RPMs to remove the marks. Your best bet it to "fill" any swilrs the best you can with something like Dodo Juice Lime Prime, AG SRP, Poorboys Black Hole/White Diamond.

Finish this off with 2 coats of wax to ensure even coverage. Depending on the wax, and also the shampoo you use, the wax should stay durable for 3-6 months, and all you need to do is a regular wash and dry.

-Mat-,

How do you stop spatter when using a rotary polisher?

Regards, Dan :)
Apply the polish to the pad, and dab it around the area you are going to polish. Also, spritz the pad with some Pad Prime before starting.... Once you have applied a bit of polish, the pad will be constantly primed due to polish soaking in. So further applications of polish should be less.... Remember, spread/dab it around, and keep the pad flat, and speeds low until it's evenly spread.

what would be the best way to remove light swirl marks and slight scratches from the paint work without using a machine polisher

cheers daz
As mentioned above. You won't be able to really remove them, but you will have a better chance of "filling" them.

What does claying actually do ? I have never clayed my car or bike ever :/
Clay removes bonded contaminents such as microscopic pieces of tar that tar remover may have missed, iron filings, tree sap etc.

Should clay be rubbed or rolled across the paint work?

And Would a snow foam wash be enough for a quick clean, without getting the buckets out?
Clay should be rubbed. Using plenty of lube, and doing about a square foot at a time.

If the car has plenty of wax on it (like mine), then a foam and rinse can be enough. It'll never fully clean the car, but can certainly improve the looks if you only have 5minutes to spare.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Finish this off with 2 coats of wax to ensure even coverage. Depending on the wax, and also the shampoo you use, the wax should stay durable for 3-6 months, and all you need to do is a regular wash and dry.
When you say regular wash, do you mean a two bucket job again or just a rinse?

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes.... A "regular" wash for me would consist of:

Rinse
Foam
Clean all panel gaps etc with a brush whilst foam is dwelling
Rinse
2 Bucket Wash
Rinse
Pat Dry with a soft towel.....

Simple........

You can dress the tyres and plastics if you need to, but that's dependant on the product you use

1 - 20 of 49 Posts