All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a Combo B van. It has always had a slight problem under braking, a pulsing like warped discs. There's no ABS on this van.

So last year I replaced the front discs and pads, and bled new fluid through the whole system, starting at the rears. The pulsing problem remains though, but I've been putting off taking apart the rear drums as the problem isn't always noticeable.

Recently I noticed if I start my journey and hold the handbrake on whilst trying to accelerate, the drums squeak on and off a bit, then clear up, and the problem is fine until the next day. I think it would also be all right if I parked without the handbrake, but living on a hill, this is a bit difficult to test.

What's going with the drums / shoes? How can it be out of round if I can temporarily fix it? Are they just old and dirty? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
I'd start by stripping and cleaning the rear drums and shoes, dust in there can cause all sorts of issues. If the inside surface of the drum looks dirty give them a clean with a rotary wire brush.

But if they are out of true then new drums is the only solution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to dig this up, but after a year, I still have this problem.

Last November I changed the drums, but the problem isn't always noticeable. When it is, it is definitely coming from the rear. Very noticeable in the morning when they squeak a bit the first time I use the brakes.

So over the last 2 years I have replaced front discs, pads, rear drums, and fluid. I always clean all surfaces when I change parts, and I recently took the drums off to paint them again, so cleaned them inside before replacing.

What else can be causing this warped feeling?

·
Banned
885 Posts
The shoes need to be able to slide and so need just a LITTLE lubrication on all of the contact points (areas where the shoes contact the pistons, hand brake lever, springs etc and on the areas which contact the back-plate.)

As the problem seems only to happen when you first set off, it could well be due to the shoe assembly not being able to slide as it should.

Take care NOT to get any lubricant on the linings or on the drum surface which the linings contact.

You will need some heat resisting grease, such as 'Copperslip'

Whilst you have the drums off, just check that there is an even,polished pattern on the area contacted by the shoes, if not, you could have a distorted drum or a bent stub-axle, but from what you have said, this is most unlikely.

Regards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts