All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologise if this is in the wrong section. Feel free to move it if it is.
Just a theory I came up with last night.
I know running bigger/smaller wheels affect speedometer readings. Since I've been running 13" wheels on low profile tyres. My speedo reads 80mph when my actually speed is 70mph. Am I right in thinking that for every 70 miles I travel on a motorway my mileage clock will give out a false reading? In this case, the clock will show 80 miles but I've only actually done 70 miles?

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
It's one of the main reasons i went for a slightly higher profile on my tyres compared to standard. (depending on model)
It means my speedo is more accurate than it was from the factory so miles go up slower and when doing a true 60mph cruising speed into work, the revs are a bit lower than with smaller wheels and tyres.

Smaller wheels and tyres from standard make the mileage go up faster and make the engine and gearbox work faster to maintain the same speeds so even though the mileage for services ect will come sooner, the engine will be doing more work so best still to stick to mileage schedules.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
A lot of hire vehicle companies put smaller tyres/wheels on there cars for this reason.
They charge per mile and this means that the car will say they have travelled more miles than they have

·
Dr frankenstein
8,272 Posts
you should have thinner tyre walls (low profile), buying bigger wheels/alloys is not about increasing the overall circumference.

it is about decreasing the tyre wall to improve handling etc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts