All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, ... does anyone know of a cheap way to restore the bottom of my doors on my Corsa B,:confused: ... at the very bottom there is some Rust showing through the Paintwork about 1 inch wide ... I did sand it down and treat it with rust-eater from Halfords a few months ago and painted it a few times but... my Corsa is white and... yes you guessed it ..here it comes again :mad: , its not blistering or dropping off or anything like that its quite solid but it just shows through, ... I have been thinking of putting something like stickers or something on to mask it but am not sure, ... i'm not an expert on cars but am just trying to keep it looking good on the road.:cool:
anyone have any ideas ?

regards
Mart:driver: & Bev:withstupid:
p.s ... i am thinking of household gloss paint, ... bad idea do you think ?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
259 Posts
sand it down to bare metal but some anti rust primer on the normal primer then paint the laquer - that should do the trick of not put a sticker over it as you said lol

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Hiya, ... does anyone know of a cheap way to restore the bottom of my doors on my Corsa B,:confused: ... at the very bottom there is some Rust showing through the Paintwork about 1 inch wide ... I did sand it down and treat it with rust-eater from Halfords a few months ago and painted it a few times but... my Corsa is white and... yes you guessed it ..here it comes again :mad: , its not blistering or dropping off or anything like that its quite solid but it just shows through, ... I have been thinking of putting something like stickers or something on to mask it but am not sure, ... i'm not an expert on cars but am just trying to keep it looking good on the road.:cool:
anyone have any ideas ?

regards
Mart:driver: & Bev:withstupid:
p.s ... i am thinking of household gloss paint, ... bad idea do you think ?:rolleyes:
See if you can get a quote from an accident repair centre/paintshop to get a price. If you request for the patch to be repaired only, they'll sort it for you. I doubt it'd be too expensive. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
523 Posts
What you need to do is first get a angle grinder ( dont worry its not as vigorous as it sounds )

Now cairfully grind it back to bare metal but very cairfully.

Now use some 400 grit or 500 grit sandpaper and wet and dry the area you grinded untill its very smooth again.

Now you need to go to a body paint suppliers and ask them for some ETCHING primer or ZINK primer. This will stop the rust atacking the metal and prevent that rust coming back thru.

Now get some 1500 grit sandpaper halfords sell it if your not sure where to get it from. Again using the wet and dry technique start sanding the primer you just applied to make it very smooth.

Now use your normal primer again from a body shop supplier so you know its the good stuff, give it 2 - 3 light coats again sanding with wet and dry 1500 grit in between coats to keep the surface nice and smooth.

Now from the body paint supplier as them to mix up your paint colour, just say vauxhall standard white, and ask them for it in airosol form, you dont need to laqure it neither thats the best bit. Now give it another 2 - 3 light coats but dont sand your last coat unless its bumpy or rough.

There you have it .... rust free door that should not re-appear.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts